Modern style Bordeaux

Looking for recommendations for Cabernet/Merlot blends with minimal to no Cab Franc. My preferred flavor profile leans modern, and I’m still not convinced that long term aging does anything for me. What can you all recommend from Bordeaux that would drink well with less than ten years of bottle age. Interested in wines from the 2014, 2015 or 2016 vintages. Looking for value wines, so let’s keep prices $15-50.

'14 Lilian Ladouys

Jeff -

For what you seek, the Mathilde is about perfect. It’s old vine merlot, early release as it sees oak for far less years than its peers, and I think it is meant to be enjoyed young. Ranges about $25 per. Not my style, but I have bought lots of it over the years as it is great for dinner parties in a mixed crowd and blows the doors off any Napa product in its price category (and in this the modern style of Bdx blends, Cabs or merlot).

Check it out:

Oops, in reading further, it does have some Cab Franc. Trust me, I’m a huge Cab franc fan, you won’t pick it up, at least not the herbaceous notes that I love but you modernists do not.

Happy drinking.

Everything in that price range is meant to drink well young. 15 in that range is better than 14. Look for wines from the Côtes de Bordeaux and the Satelitte appellations of St. Emilion and Bordeaux Superior.

What a world when the low stakes card tables are $50 !

Definitely give a try to Barde Haute, pretty much any vintage.

It’s a sexy, modern popular wine.

clos st. julien from st. emilion will be right in your price range and wheel house, very modern, ripe, lavious oak, crowd pleasing Bordeaux

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Trying steer clear of wines with significant amounts of Cab Franc.

Fleur Cardinale
La Fleur de Bouard

Jeff, I would add Haut Brisson and Larrivet Haut Brion to the list. Haut Brisson is primarily Merlot with around 10% Cab Franc, and Larrivet is Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot with just a little Cab Franc. They should both be relatively easy to find in the marketplace.

Thanks,
Ed

I think this usually has a good dollop of cab franc, though it fits the profile otherwise.

I think these modern wines kill the Cab Franc out of the Cab Franc. They lose the varietal character at late pick, high alcohol and new oak. I’ve tried all of the wines mentioned above, and do not detect Cab Franc in many of them. And keep in mind, Cab Franc is my thing, it’s what I seek.

possible, i don’t remember off the top of my head, but it doesn’t taste like the cab franc heavy wines of the region like Figeac, Carmes Haut Brion, Clos St Julien etc. I always think the estates around Figeac have the most distinct of its minty notes.

I would maybe suggest Château Fombrauge. Very modern for my palate.

I am partial to Ch Gloria, which is friendly without being ostentatious. It is an extremely well made wine that gets raves from non-wine geeks and would also be palatable for some (non-Alfert) AFWEs. Well within your price range

The 2005 Chateau Gloria was quit enjoyable two years ago. Completely forgot about that one.

Clos St Julien is ~half Cab Franc…don’t think it’s modern styling will be enough to sway Jeff.

Jeff Rosenberg, if you have not done so, I recommend you look at Jeff Leve’s web site Complete All About Bordeaux Guide to the Best Bordeaux Wines

I think your palate lines up pretty well with JL’s recommendations.

I have begun to notice this as well. Thanks.

2014 Capbern St Estephe.

More than a little modern leaning and a complete knockout QPR at ± $25

That was my reaction is well. I find that I only don’t like a variety until I do. You are really missing a lot by excising Cab Franc!