TN: 1990 Chateau La Louviere, Pessac-Leognan

This is a perfect wine. Not perfect in that nebulous sense of a 100-point rating. Instead, it is perfect in the sense of always delivering tremendous satisfaction and being so true to its sense of place. This is an archetypal Graves Bordeaux. I have had about 2 cases of this wine since release, and have never had a disappointing bottle, and have generally rated it from 89-93/94. Tonight it delivered on that top end of the range.

Decanted for about 30 minutes.

Everything about this wine reeks of classic Graves. Aromatically, it shows smoke, dry earth, minerals, tobacco and a hint of grilled bell pepper. This is a Chinon-lovers Bordeaux, but it is surprising how little Cab Franc is actually in the wine, less than 5% (this is an assumption based on the current vineyard composition as depicted on Leve’s site). The palate is gorgeous. Exquisitely ripe, warm vintage fruit, running the range of reds to some plummy darks. Fresh from a healthy cut of acid, no jam in this wine at all. Soy, tobacco leaf, dry ground cover, some grilled meat. A velvety, silky texture, tannins have largely receded. Low alcohol, barely perceptible presence of any wood, just a subtle kiss of framing. The last bottle I had several months ago suggested to me this wine was starting the decline; this wine, this bottle is at apogee. I may go find more.

(93 pts.)

I stood up my last bottle about a month ago but have been traveling and otherwise occupied with other tasty beverages … so it’s just been hanging out on my kitchen counter. Hope mine is as good as yours!

Sounds great. [cheers.gif] When, I first started drinking Bordeaux, my favorites were always from St. Julien and Pauillac. But, in the last several years, I have begun to appreciate more and more the flavors of wines from Graves and Margaux. Don’t remember from the thread on classic v. modern Bordeaux. Are these guys still making classic wines or have they gone to the dark side.

I do have to say of course that if this were Burgundy the wines would not “reek” but would have a sublime smell. [smileyvault-ban.gif]

Howard, La Louviere has gone rogue. They hired Uncle Rollo in 2013. I did not buy in 2014.

DTM. :wink:

Just had the 90 a few weeks ago, and I concur with everything you say here. Well done!

I hate to say it, but 1990 was a serious outlier. Most vintages are solid rather than great, so it really will not make too much difference. Apart from 1990, the only other one I ended up buying was 1996.

I’ve had good results with the '95 in recent years, though like many other '95s it doesn’t quite seem ready for prime time yet.

Love this wine. Love the note. Thanks!

I like 2000 and 2005 very much. I think 1990 is better, but these are fine vintages of La Louviere.

[bleh.gif]

It’s impressive that it continues to live so long and well.

Drank my last bottle last night - was in pristine condition despite having been left standing on my somewhat warm and fluctuating (70-80f) kitchen counter for the past 2 months. My notes:

A good bottle & drinking at peak. Still vivid purple, with signs of bricking only during the pour. A powerful blast of stinky horse poo at first when decanting. Thankfully this mostly blows off quite quickly. Underneath, the nose is strong with blackcurrant, leather, a trace of hay and barn. In the mouth, it expresses layers of delicate red fruit that starts out strong but starts mellowing after 2 hours. No tannins left to speak of, but a savory framework of worn leather sofa, cigar box, curry leaf, a whisper of mint. Long finish of red current and tobacco.

A magnum a month ago was in great shape and drinking beautifully. As Robert says, a really good wine, not the stuff of legends, but who cares?

I have two bottle left of this and like it as well but it´s not a steak wine anymore IMO. The question when a wine is at peak can´t be answered for everybody. I thought the wine has lost intensity and was better 10 years ago. But again – it´s still a fine bottle of wine if a bit “light”.

I would not recommend it as a steak wine now, nor in its youth. There are so many other bottles I’d reach for with steak. This is a fireplace and good book or old-friend-you-haven’t-seen-in-a-couple-years wine, with maybe some aged Comte or game pate for nibbles.

Counselor, how would you characterize the 2005 vs the 1990? Worth picking up at $40?

I always thought the '90 was a fave QPR Bordeaux. Agree some other years are merely solid, though I also found the '98 to be a great value. Have a few bottles of '00 and '05 that I bought based on the '90, but haven’t tried, should open a 2000 soon.

How sad :frowning: