2008 Lagier Meredith Syrah - the best yet

• 2008 Lagier Meredith Syrah - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (6/23/2017)
    The final of my Lagier Meredith flight from BerserkerDay, and the best of the 6-bottle set, for sure. This Syrah is shockingly bright in character - almost tart, but not ‘sour’, per se. It’s like that peach that is perhaps one day away from absolute perfection, and you can tell that it will be the precise compilation of sweet, tart, juicy, and full of flavor.

If I had more of this wine, I’d be quite happy to wait 1-2 more years, yet it’s tremendous right now as well. Gotta love that mountain fruit, and the expertise of those who create this wine. The qualities of Syrah are all present - darker fruit profile, rich earth, red meat, but the brightness of the fruit is really a special treat, and continues to reward you sip after sip, surprising you each time with the bright brambly fruit. Fortunately I saved half a bottle, preserved with gas, so I can enjoy it with a little more ‘age’ on it :wink:

Once you finally polish off that second half, there’s a place nearby that has a healthy stash of 04s in stock still. We bought we bought and drink one last month and they’re showing strong secondary notes all around at this point.

That 2008 was indeed a really good wine. Haven’t opened any of mine yet, I like to wait a decade, but might be time…

I haven’t touch any of mine from the WB pack. Would love to hear thoughts on the others and which should I attack first. [cheers.gif]

This was the only one that I’d say wasn’t yet ‘ready’ - the rest were, in my opinion. I wouldn’t wait much longer on the '03 or '04, for certain - they are good to go.