Who are the new up and coming Burgundy producers

We have had a couple of really wonderful threads started by Martin Steinley on under the radar Burgundies and value Burgundies. In some sense, of course, this topic is similar to those, but I am trying to get to who people think will be the next generation of stars.

I have really been thinking about this for a while - at least since 2011 when I tasted at Cecile Tremblay for the first time. Then, I really thought about it a lot last year as a result of two things - one tasting at Hudelot-Noellat with Charles Van Canneyt (and then trying the Hudelot-Noellat 2014 Bourgogne Rouge and 2012 Chambolle Musigny and 2014 Charles Van Canneyt Bourgogne Blanc in the last couple of months). The other last summer was a lunch last summer in Burgundy at La Dilettante. When we left, we spoke for a couple of minutes with Lolo, who said how impressed he was with a number of new producers. I did not have time then to pump him for more info, but plan to do so next time I am in Burgundy. In the meantime, I thought this would be a good topic for discussion.

So, my first two are Cecile Tremblay (although this may now be old information) and Charles Van Canneyt (this was confirmed at the Paulee in NY last winter). A third probably would be Max Cheurlin at Georges Noellat. I have only tasted two of their wines, but they have impressed me.

Love to read your thoughts. Can be a new winery, or a new generation at an existing winery, like Charles Van Canneyt and Max Cheurlin.

Thanks.

cecile tremblay is already a star more or less.

nicolas faure is one to watch considering 2015 is only his 2nd vintage in a real facility. also his girlfriend amelie took over the reigns at her family’s estate berthaut-gerbet in 2013. i have heard great things about chantereves but have no experience with the wines.

Pascals son at Arnoux Lachaux is getting his groove on, and they have some very good plots, this was already a good estate so Im not sure if you would put them in as up and comers but definately improvers

Howard, I thought the Domaine Eleni et Edouard Vocoret Chablis we tried at La Paulée this year were excellent, especially the Les Butteaux.

Maison Ilan.

(Someone had to say it)

Maxime Cheurlin at Georges Noellat. Elegant and understated wines.

The wines were quite good, but I did not know they were new, as opposed to new to me. Did you talk with them much.

I did not get to taste the wines from Domaine Duroché at the Paulee, but others have told me that they liked them very much. Randy, did you try them. Are they a new or revitalized producer?

The Vocoret producer at La Paulée was new, Howard–they’re related to the bigger operation, but now are off on their own after several years in NZ. Missed trying anything by Duroché, I’m sorry to say.

Is Sylvie Esmonin under many coming or old news? Regardless - excellent.

More or less only at villages-level with only a few 1. Cru’s I have been very impressed with Decelle-Villa!

Disclaimer: so much so that I have added it to the portfolio of the company I work for. Head to head it erradicated Frederic Magnien. I get no bonuses from sales or anything, just really enjoy these elegant and intense wines!

Good topic Howard.

As above, Arnoux Lachaux is a (reasonably) recent favourite for me too. I very much like Sylvie Esmonin’s wines, especially her CSJ, but think of her as pretty well established.

Visiting Domaines in Burgundy, I often find (relatively) good value when a new generation brings new energy into a relatively established house. A couple of people like that are Damien Livera at Domaine des Tilleuls, Maxime at Patrice Rion and, particularly, Cyprien Arlaud at Domaine Arlaud. His 2014 Combottes, Charmes and Bonnes Mares I barrel tasted were all memorable wines …

Thanks for these, Howard (and other posters),
Especially on Arlaud, which were a bit disappointing in the past, though always reasonably priced. Has the latter remained the same, while the quality is on the rise?

Also, one producer, at least new to me, for white, is Balland-Curtet. I just ordered some of their '14’s (hard to go wrong with white in that vintage in any case), but I haven’t yet tasted. I’ve been hearing good things about them from a couple of places and the prices here, too, are still reasonable.

A few who’ve really stepped in recent years in my view:

Herestyzn-Mazzini
Michel Noellat
Follin-Arbelet
Bichot/Clos Frantin

Joshua, yes, that’s what I think

And, in terms of whites, Buisson-Charles (particularly at the 1er level).

We visited Cyprien Arlaud last summer while in Burgundy. He is a very serious winemaker making rich, structured wines.

Many of my earliest Burgundy memories were wines from Domaine Clos Frantins, including 1971 Richebourg, Grands Echezeaux and Echezeaux. I had heard for years that the quality there had slipped, but that it recently is better (bought some 2010s). What has changed there, if anything?

For Next Gen producers reinvigorating old domaines, I’d say great things are happening having tasted 2013-2015 whites of Domaine Paul Pillot.

Very much agree on Hudelot-Noellat.

I think Lamarche fits into this camp as the wines have significantly improved. Whilst some of this will be due to investment in the winery, Nicole’s involvement in the domaine seems to have kicked the quality level up a notch higher. They have great holdings and so should be producing wines of real quality. The 2014 La Grand Rue tasted from magnum this year was really spectacular.

This thread is great. Everything I was hoping for.

Indeed, a good thread, Howard. Good to know regarding Arlaud, and I certainly agree with Thierry and Christelle’s wines at Domaine Paul Pillot. Their Chassagne-Montrachet Clos St. Jean Rouge is lovely.

Marc and Alex Bachelet are making riveting white Burgundies (and good reds) at Domaine Bachelet-Monnot in Maranges, which they founded in 2005. Their 2014s captured about everything the vintage had to offer, starting with a stony, citrus-infused Manages Fussieres to a St.-Aubin En Remilly that would have Hubert Lamy looking over his shoulder to Puligy-Montrachet Hameau de Blagny, Referts and Folatieres that have some richness and flesh to their white fruit, but are taut, mineral and citrusy. Here is a link to the importer’s site with more information: Domaine Bachelet-Monnot, Puligny-Montrachet

A producer new to me recently is Domaine Serrigny in Savigny-Les-Beaune. Apparently, the domaine was introduced to the U.S. importer by someone at Domaine Joseph Voillot. I tried the 2014 Savigny-Les-Beaune AOC, Peuillets and Dominode recently and all were very good, with the Dominode a silky, supple, elegant old-vine beauty. It is a bunch of wine for $40. More information here: serrigny_savigny

A couple of others who come to mind are young Gregory Gouges at Domaine Gouges. I don’t believe that the domaine’s wines have ever been better than they are under him. Founder Pierre Guillemot’s grandson, Vincent, is now at the helm of Domaine Guillemot in Savigny-Les-Beaune and that domaine’s wines are as good or better than they have ever been, as well, if one is looking for elegant, red-fruited Savigny.