TN: 2004 Gunderloch Nackenheim Rothenberg Riesling Spätlese (Germany, Rheinhessen)

2004 Gunderloch Nackenheim Rothenberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Rheinhessen (6/22/2017)
Thirteen years in, and showing lots of ripe, rich primary fruit, but also a hint of a smoky note, signaling just a touch of maturity. The screw cap closure has kept this wine very fresh, and so it still focuses on pineapple, ripe peach and mango flavors. It’s a ton of fun to drink, and can probably go on for another 20-30 years. This is big spatlese with a solid spine still largely buried under its fruit.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note.

The 02 has been drinking very nicely for a number of years now. That was bottled with corks.

Any idea how the 05 is drinking? Haven’t touched mine yet.

Unfortunately no. I didn’t get any. Loaded up on GK Auslese in 2005 which will completely outlive me.

My recentish opinion is that it’s in its prime window right now. If you have multiple bottles I’d definitely recommend checking-in now to see if you agree.

2005 Gunderloch Nackenheim Rothenberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Rheinhessen (9/9/2016)
– cracked and poured –
– tasted non-blind on Day 1, and then again on Day 3 –
– AP #: … 02 06 –

NOSE: expressive; initially, strong petrol; banana – pear combo; cucumber.

BODY: deep green-golden yellow color; full bodied; no spritz.

TASTE: petrol; honey; 8.5% alc. not noticeable; heavy for a Spatlese; medium-low acidity; seems to be in its prime drinking window right now; low acidity even more apparent on Day 3 than on Day 1. Drink now and in the near term.

50, 5, 12, 16, 8 = 91 (91 pts.)

Opened an '02 with Thai food within the past 6 weeks and as John says, drinking beautifully in a not quite fully mature way. I believe '03 was the last year for cork on these, at least on the spats.

I have a really hard time believing that any top tier 2005 German Riesling Spatlese is at peak yet. Drinking well, yes indeed.

Thanks. Looks like I should give one a try.

I had a case of 98 Auslese from strakers for about 100 quid a few years back. It was sensational.

Same here. But the proof is in the pudding. Only other explanation is Dumb Phase, which is a possibility.