I'm so glad...

no not about Cream and does not belong in the psych rock forummm…

early dinner tonight, penne alla vodka,
bottle of my favourite thriceweekly Iberian swill –

but: !@#$% Corked!

a handful of Glad cling-wrap in the glass rendered it drinkable.
TCA-taint almost totally suppressed.

any youse guys ever try this with a really fine bottle?

It does some good, but I find the wine left underneath stripped of its normal character/flavors. I’ll sometimes cook with it.

Tried it and it helped, but we use ‘vintage’ saran wrap. It was my impression that the current crop of wraps is not TCA worthy.

Anybody else heard this?

My understanding from some ancient threads was that regular/original non-stretch Saran Wrap and Glad had the correct chemical formulation. Stretch wraps are chemically quite different.

my experience as well

Exactly. It cures the TCA, but it leaves you with a very one dimensional wine that is about as interesting as the “house” wine at a reception or conference hall dinner.

I’d say it’s fun to try to see the science experiment, but if you’re looking for any wine experience beyond “inoffensive,” you’ll have to open a new bottle.

I’ll take early Clapton work over TCA any day

I’ve never tried Saran/Glad, but I can speculate on the possible reasons, based on what I’ve read in Jamie Goode’s I Taste Red. Some components of wine have their own flavors and smells, while others enhance or suppress other aromas and flavors he explains. When I read that, a light went on about TCA for me. I’ve always been puzzled why TCA sometimes seems to render a wine flavorless, while other times the underlying flavors seem largely unharmed, even though there’s an overlay of the TCA smell and taste. It’s not uncommon to say, “There’s a really nice wine underneath the corkiness.”

Though Goode doesn’t discuss TCA in this context, his discussion would explain this: TCA may quash some aromas and flavors.

This could also explain why the plastic wrap gets rid of the TCA smell itself but doesn’t necessarily restore the wine. The TCA may have already reacted with/bonded with (or whatever the chemical process is) with flavor components before you introduce the wrap.

As I said, speculation, but food for thought.

It really was the Cream of the crop.

… and here I was hoping this was a Col. Bruce Hampton & the Codetalkers reference …

So, if I understand correctly. You are taking a wine that has been spoiled by a chemical and adding more chemicals to make it more palatable. What was Monsanto’s motto?

That describes a fair deal of winemaking.

No, the wrap is essentially attracting the molecule in question and taking it out of solution, not adding anything.

Like a sediment filter removing sediment, but not adding chemicals to make sediment better.