2015 Cameron Dundee Hills Pinot Noir

John gifted me several bottles of this right after it was bottled a couple of months ago, and this is the second bottle I’ve opened, the first was still somewhat in bottle shock.

Cherries to blackberries in the nose - a bit surprising as I would normally expect Dundee Hills to be more strawberry than blackberry. I didn’t notice any “funk” at all (but I’m probably not the best judge). On the palate, I get more cherry and strawberry, but in a darker, sterner way than I would normally expect from the Dundee Hills, and the blackberries show through too. Typical Cameron full midpalate and mouthfeel, and a great finish. There are a few tannins floating around, very concentrated, and it is very slightly on the acidic side. This is more serious than the typical Cameron Dundees Hills - and more of a pork or beef wine than the more usual chicken or salmon wine. While very good now, I think it will be great in a couple years. If the Dundee Hills is this good, I can’t imagine how good the SVD stuff is.

John thinks this is the best Dundee Hills he’s ever made, and I would have to agree with him.

Great note! How was the oak treatment? I know John breaks in all his new barrels on the entry level stuff and keeps all the SVD stuff in used. The 2014 release the oak was definitely a bit too noticeable for my palate, but I only had it right at release.

Great. May have to rethink skipping the 2015 SVDs as part of my buying curtailment plan.

Adam,
I didn’t really notice the oak, but I don’t think I’m as sensitive as some. The Willamette Valley Pinot sees most of the new oak and can be quite oaky to my taste.

Scott,
As you know I’ve cut way back on buying Pinot Noir, and as part of that I’ve continued to get the Cameron’s Dundee Hills and Reserve level wines but have stopped buying the SVD Pinots (admittedly so I can buy more of the SVD Chardonnays). I believe the DH and Reserve age very well, and for my aging (and probably now less discerning) palate they work just fine.

I don’t disagree with your take on the DH and Reserve and have enjoyed both from prior vintages. But passing on Clos Electrique (rouge or blanc) is hard for me as I love those wines. Abbey Ridge is great, but for me I’d pass on those SVD bottlings before Clos Electrique, which I realize is not an opinion likely shared by many Oregon (and Cameron) wine lovers.

Coincidentally UPS just dropped of a case of this 10 minutes ago. Thanks for the note. I plan to try one in the next week or so and will add to this thread.

I agree with you, Scott. I’d buy CE ahead of AR (especially the Chard), but will likely get a few of each regardless.

Ahh I very well have mixed the Willamette and Dundee up in my head as I have a number of each and it has been almost a year since I have had either.

Moral of the story: time to pop one!

In these riper vintages (which, I know, can be polarizing, and I’ve been squeamish about 14-15 myself) the oak seems to integrate well over time. For instance, the '14 WV was slightly oaky out of the gates but I haven’t noticed oak in more recent bottles at all.

Picked some of this up last week, so pleased to hear the positive review (though I thoroughly enjoy it every vintage).

Squirreled mine away for a bit.
I profess to like the cool vintages, but the '14s are gorgeous. Maybe I like to drink the warm and cellar the cool. [wow.gif]

Really looking forward to trying these. I had the '15 Ribbon Ridge a few weeks ago and thought it was dynamite. Big and ripe, though, so maybe not for everyone.

Will someone remind me of the difference between the Cameron Ribbon Ridge and Dundee Hills?

About 7 miles.

The Dundee Hills bottling is 70% Abbey Ridge/30% CE, right? And the '15 WV is mostly Eola Hills purchased fruit? What the is the Cameron Rivbon Ridge?

I believe the Ribbon Ridge comes from Doug Ackerman’s vineyard and Alan Foster’s vineyard that is adjacent/uphill to Brick House. Both John and Tom (Cameron’s Asst Winemaker) immediately and emphatically said the DH is better when asked about the two wines.

The Dundee Hills is all Abbey Ridge and Clos Electrique.

So for $23 I can get CE & AR fruit instead of paying $60. Works for me. [wow.gif]

Speaking of Cameron, Liner & Elsen has the 2014 Dundee Hills Chardonnay Reserve for $26.99, plus 10% off all purchases in June.
Haven’t had the wine, but ordered a few as it seems like a really nice deal.

Popped one of these tonight. I don’t have much to add to Rick’s note. I like it quite a bit and it will last for years, and I didn’t get any funk this bottle (though I’m generally down with the funk). Pleased I have more.