TN: 2014 Chateau Canon - my first of the 2014s [Senejac, then Capbern, added]

Several of my cases rolled in today, so I was dying to try a 375 of Canon that I picked up on Sunday.

Really primary of course, but I like the bright fresh red-fruited nose with a streak of green. Shows off the heavy dollop of Cab Franc (28%). Medium-bodied, spritely, excellent acid, exhibits a cool minty feel to it. Ripe cherry fruit, some spicey strawberries. Fairly svelte, could round out a bit more, but quite classic in structure. A bit clipped finish with a touch of bitterness.

Saving half a glass to see how (if) it develops.

(90+ pts.)

I really think the '14’s are going to take 15+ years to really show their true potential, similar to the '83’s and '88’s. I went back and doubled up on the '14’s after seeing the pricing on the '16’s.

I would hope that to be true, as I adore those vintages, but I think winemaking has become way too sophisticated to turn out the product from those vintages. While one anecdote cannot characterize a vintage, this Canon is pure and super-clean, no old-school muskiness. That era has long gone for the most part. We are in a new paradigm. Not better or worse, just different.

I am very enthusiastic to try some of the better 2014s. A taste of an early release cheapie impressed me this past fall. And honestly, with all of the great vintages on the market these days, and the fact that pricing for '15 and '16 should keep the '14s cheap, I may more less ignore the later two, get some '14s, and continue to backfill on 2010.

Checked on a 2014 Figeac over Father’s Day.

I really liked the aromatics upon opening and they are still really nice here on Day 3. I’ve found that’s what I really love about Bordeaux more than anything is the aromatics.

Noticed elevated acidic freshness on day 1, which is much better integrated here on day 3, basically fully integrated, with the fruit settling in well, especially toward the back. Tannins were always good, with medium grip, and ripe.

Yeah, I think these 14’s will be just fine in time. Just imagine all of those vintages in the 70’s 80’s and 90’s (not to mention 11’ 12’ and 13’) that would’ve preferred the weather of 2014.

Wish I would have grabbed some of the Figeac. Was so enamored by all the classified Growths at $55 and under that I mostly stayed that and below. Figeac and Conseillante should have been the two stretches.

Will pop a regular Cru tonight.

I just do not understand young Bordeaux. All of the components that drive me nuts when they are older are just not there. Tried a few 2002 and 2003 the other day and just did not get it. I envy you guys.

Conseillante under $90 was the play.

Not much to envy, I prefer them far more mature as well. These youngsters are just giving us a glimpse into the vintage. I will try a few from various appellations, then let them slumber. I never cease to be amazed - and yes I am a bit skeptical - on the paragraph long prose that some critics can generate from a small taste of one young Bordeaux among many during futures events - I spent a solid hour trying to understand this Canon. It was popped for the experience not necessarily for the pure pleasure, though I did enjoy it. I think Alan Rath and Leve capture the essence of this wine quite well in their CT notes. Short but direct notes.

Was? I looked at Wine-Searcher and it still can be had for that price. https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/la+conseillante+pomerol+bordeaux+france/2014/usa

2002 and 2003 are not great vintages. What did you try.

Highly recommend

I just got some cases of 2014s in as well and opened a bottle of Les Orme de Pez, which seemed to have good stuffing but also seemed like it would need several years or more to develop. It showed better the next day. [stirthepothal.gif]

Pichon Baron 2002
Pichon Lalande 2002
Gruad Larose 2002
Grand Puy Lacoste 2002
Lynch Bages 2003
Cheval Blanc 2003
Haut Brion 2003
Pape Clement 2003

Carlos, I’d recommend trying some from the 2000 vintage.

Robert, thanks. I cellar quite a bit of 2000 as it is the birth year of my son. Some of the simpler wines of the vintage are starting to open up.

I suspect that 2002 will never appeal to many folks. I like the austerity of the vintage.

I bought 3 wines in 2002: Lynch Bages, Pichon Lalande, and Leoville Barton. None is ready, but I like all of them.

Curious, Carlos, do you drink simple or young wines as an accompaniment to regular dinners? I know you like matures wines, and perhaps you have a deep cellar, but I certainly am not in a position to pop a fully mature Bordeaux, Rhone, etc., for regular weekday dinners. But I do enjoy my daily wine. I actually do derive pleasure from basic, well-made wines, or even young but approachable Bordeaux. For example, last night I popped the 2014 Chateau Senejac. Part of it was to try a handful of the 2014s that I bought to see if I should grab more, but frankly, this was an enjoyable young wine. It was actually far more enjoyable than the Canon. I would not score it as high, but it was indeed far more approachable than the Canon, which nobody would expect to be ready to drink at this stage.

I did not buy any 2002s, but have had an excellent Mouton and a really good Cos from that vintage.