Introducing some wine to friends #2

Small get together to share a few bottles over… Whitecastle Sliders! Yes!

2009 Trimbach Riesling Cuvée Frédéric Emile
Beautiful Riesling clearly Alsatian.

Showing notes of white flowers, slightly smoked herbs, petrol, honey and raw almonds on the notes. Good mineral note without being overdone with a medium+ that balances out the tropical fruitiness. Texture on the palate was waxy/oily and mouth coating with a 45 second finish that just lingers. Honestly, my WOTN.

2007 Andrew Will Champoux Vineyard
Drinking at or near it’s peak but will most likely hold for another 5-7 years before starting a slow decline. Decanted for 2.5 hours.

Nose is full of earthy characteristics at this stage lead by ceder, sawdust, suede, and maybe even sage? The heavy Cab franc has mellowed and is probably showing more of it’s earthy greenness.

Flavors are big on the palate of dusty black cherries, dark chocolate, and a good mineral streak. Tannins have more or less been resolved but the alcohol on this one was slightly more noticeable than on my previous bottle. 45+ finish.

2013 Opus One
Decanted for 6+ hours and drunk over next 3 hours.

Nose is clearly Cali Cab from a ripe vintage. Mocha, fruit liqueur, almost a peaty note? oak, violets, and licorice come together for a big round nose.

Palate is extremely rich and requires substantial food to prevent palate fatigue. Dark sweet cherry, blueberry, oak, slightly vanilla, heavy on the wood spices. I wish it had some more acidity to balance out all the ripe fruit and richness. Too round for me. Tannins were not as bad as I expected and the finish was loooong.

I would say it is extremely well made, and of high quality. It is extremely young, but I still don’t know if I enjoy this style of California Cab…
IMG_20170616_195153.jpg

YES!! Growing up in the Midwest and living in Arizona for the past 18 years…there’s plenty of ocassions when I really miss White Castle (think later at night after maybe having a glass or two more than i should have). Sliders…chicken rings…you seriously can’t go wrong.

Oh…and the wines sound pretty good too :slight_smile:

A cheeseburger and fries is my favorite accompaniment to a big red wine.

I thought it would just be fun to have some as palate cleansers with the wine, but it, in all honesty, was delicious.

You can drink Trimbach CFE at almost any age. I’ve had them back to 1976 and they are always fun.

Don’t forget the onion chips! I have a White Castle less than a mile from my office, they also have a fantastic breakfast made to order.

It’s the dill pickles and mustard that make the pairing so great.

BTW, that Andrew Will has plenty of life ahead.

This was my first thought as well. [welldone.gif]

I was upset that they did not try any of the classics with their sliders - hurricane, Thunderbird, MD 20/20. newhere

Anyway, not surprised the CFE showed so well.

Agreed on the Andrew Will; I have one more that I plan on opening maybe in 5-8 years. So happy I discovered them as they satiate my craving for something new world-ish without going all the way to California.

Have had Trimbach before, but it was my first ever CFE. Consider me fully converted.