BerlinKabinettCup - Kabinett 2016

berlinkabinettcup1617.jpg
On sunday I served blind 48 Kabinett from the vintage 2016 to a group of sommeliers, journalists, wine-merchants etc.

Winner: 2016 von Othegraven “Kupp” Kabinett
Othegraven.jpg
Best from Berlin,
Martin Zwick

Top 3

2016 von Othegraven „Kupp“
2016 Emrich-Schönleber „Monzinger“
2016 Hofgut Falkenstein „Krettnacher Euchariusberg“ #12

Top3.jpg

Ranking - BerlinKabinettCup

1. 2016 von Othegraven „Kupp“

2. 2016 Emrich-Schönleber „Monzinger“

3. 2016 Hofgut Falkenstein „Euchariusberg“ #12

4. 2016 Schloss Lieser „Brauneberger Juffer“

5. 2016 Keller „Pettenthal“

6. 2016 Loersch „Hofberg“

7. 2016 Fritz Haag “Brauneberger”
    8- 2016 von Othegraven „Altenberg“

8. 2016 Maximin Grünhaus „Herrenberg“

9. 2016 Wagner-Stempel “Siefersheimer”

10. Maximin Grünhäuser Abtsberg

11. Franz Keller - Schwarzer Adler Oberbergener Bassgeige

12. Willi SchaeferGraacher Himmelreich

13. Weiser-Künstler Wolfer Sonnenlay

14. K. J. Thul Schieferklang

15. Schätzel Niersteiner Pettenthal

16. Max Ferd. Richter Brauneberger Juffer

17. Daniel Vollenweider Wolfer Goldgrube

18. Schätzel KabiNett

19. Reinhold Haart Piesporter Goldtröpfchen

20. Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg #8

21. Koenen Kabinett

22. Franzen „Calmont“

23. Dr. Hermann Ürziger Würzgarten

24. Clemens Busch Pündericher Marienburg

25. Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst

26. Gunderloch Nackenheimer Rothenberg

27. Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg

28. Kruger-Rumpf Im Pitterberg

29. Steinmetz & Hermann Wintricher Geierslay

30. Nico Espenschied La Roche

31. Max Ferd. Richter Elisenberger

32. Dr. Hermann Erdener Treppchen

33. Schloss Lieser Wehlener Sonnenuhr

34. Gunderloch Jean Baptiste

35. Thörle Saulheimer Hölle

36. Dr. Loosen Wehlener Sonnenuhr

37. Schmitges „vom roten Schiefer“

38. Carl Loewen Maximiner Herrenberg

39. Felix Waldkirch Rhodter Schlossberg

40. Steinmetz Mülheimer Sonnenlay

41. Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt Scharzhofberger

42. Zilliken Saarburger Rausch

43. Strub „Herzstück“

44. Geltz-Zilliken Ockfener Bockstein

45. . Weegmüller Pamino

46. von Hövel Scharzhofberger -auction wine-

Thank you Martin. Nice to see the Falkensteins show so well.

Any general thoughts on 2016 for Kabinetts?

the fruit jumps in your face

Robert,

I hope a friend of mine will write an article about the vintage, wines etc. chez the website of Lars Carlberg.

Gin Gin
Martin

Happy to see the Falkensteins put up a killer showing. They have really been on fire the last couple of vintages and off the charts QPR here in the states.

I hope to see some 2016 Kabinett up here.

The 2016 Euchariusberg Kabinetts from Hofgut Falkenstein are three separate Fuder casks—hence the different AP numbers. The one in 28th place is AP number 13. All three are from old vines in the original south-facing slope of Euchariusberg, also known as Großschock. This sector dates back a long time ago and is colored dark red on Franz Josef Clotten’s 1868 Viticultural Map of the Saar and Mosel. (Some parts of the Scharzhofberg, such as Pergentsknopp, weren’t even planted until the late 19th century.) The Kabinett AP number 8 (Gisela), in 21st place, with the words “Alte Reben” on the label, designates a block of old, ungrafted vines. This has a more herbal aroma than the other two. The Webers and I judge this to be the most impressive of the three. In 3rd place, the AP number 12 (Kugel Peter) is an old-vine plot adjacent to Gisela. We’re very excited about the quality of the 2016 vintage across the board.

Thanks for your efforts, Martin.
As I voiced last year, I do wonder about the usefulness of a 1-40 rating/listing of wines that have far too much idiosyncrasy of site and producer to reduce them to digits with no other context/detail.
Actual impressions of the wines would give people much more of an idea of what the style is like, what about each wine that was impressive/interesting etc. Such detail would also give people a global idea of the style of the vintage, which a 1-40 just can’t offer.
Additionally, as many of the producers here make more than just the Kabinetts featured here, (Richter comes to mind…no WS Kab this year, after winning the cup last year?) I wonder about the usefulness of such selective portions of a producer’s portfolio.
I can appreciate that such detail would be very difficult/time consuming to cobble together. There are only so many hours in the day, and only so many wines you can include.
In shared love and respect for the Riesling and its German growers,
Robert

Robert,

fair argument. There will be an article about the event, vintage, wines, impressions etc. chez the website of Lars Carlberg at the beginning of next week by Olivier Schnurr. Stay tuned!

Gin Gin
Martin

P.S. no deeper impressions from me, as I was the host. I had to open the bottles and to serve the wines and take care that everything goes well and the jury is happy.

P.S. Oliver Schnurr also told me that he will write something at this board/thread

Regarding the estate Max Ferd. Richter, it was the selection of the winemaker Constantin Richter himself. I gave him free choice to select 2 wines for the tasting. Why he didn´t choose WS, it´s up to him.

Thanks Martin!

Having tasted the full range w Zilliken, Lieser, Clemens Busch, Richter, Wwe Thanisch, and Steinmetz, I am a huge fan of the Mosel Kabinetts of the vintage. As Pigott put it, both '15 and '16 are wonderful vintages, at times with a bit more concentration and slightly higher acidity in '15 (raw power), and more playful filigree sensibility in '16 with average to above average acidity…
joyful joyful Kabinett!!!

Last Sunday, at Carl Loewen in Leiwen, I ran into Constantin Richter of Max Ferd. Richter. He said that their Kabinetts are bigger in 2016. For most producers, 2016 was much lighter than 2015.

Martin thanks for the great effort, very interesting outcome
I miss 3 names in this thread so far:
Julian
Haart
Schubertslay

haha…touché Claus. Julian told me that he has no bottles left, completely sold out. I would have loved to include the Kabinett from Julian Haart.

BTW, a fantastic&thrilling aged Mosel Magnum is waiting for you in my fridge. Late birthday present. Tell me when you´re around.

Skol,
Martin

Martin, I thought of something as to why Constantin picked those two Kabinetts (I know for a fact that his favorite '16 Kab was not included…): in addition to their very good quality, they are his largest production…

The Prüm '16 Kabinetts are very very good. All three are classic in the sense that their vineyard personalities are clear as a bell, with a sense of dancing moderation, purity, and focus that are plain terrific. They were picked in the low to mid 80s oechsle, a smidgen less than the '15s. The WS is my favorite of the vintage for me, plain stunning in its chiseled precision, especially once it got some air. I was particularly smitten with the Badstube’s sense of floral charm. Even after tasting through the full range, GKAs included, when I circled back to the Badstube, its aromatics were still standout stunning, in spite of it having been bottled two weeks ago…I often am a bit underwhelmed with the Badstube wines, but this was not at all the case in '16.

[cheers.gif]

just for the record

Olivier Schnurr will publish an article about the Kabinett vintage 2016 and the BerlinKabinettCup on 14th july at the Mosel webiste of Lars Carlberg and some notes additional notes here, I guess.

The new edition of MoselFineWines has been released this morning. And I am happy that my jury did a good joob or swarm intelligence is reliable.

von Othegraven “Kupp” 93 pts.
Hofgut Falkenstein „Euchariusberg“ #12 94 pts.
Schloss Lieser “Brauneberger Juffer” 92 pts.

http://moselfinewines.com

And also the discoveries of young winemakers like Loersch “Hofberg” (91) und Thul “Schieferklang” (90) received good ratings.

Cheers,
Martin