1985 Mongeard-Mugneret Grands Echezeaux

Bricking throughout. Intense and complex bouquet of damp earth, dark cherries, truffles and game. The aromatics soar from the glass, making it difficult not to keep smelling this. The soil and cherry notes are especially pronounced, and made more complex with smells of violets and minerals. Truly intoxicating. Medium bodied and concentrated, this fills the mouth with dark cherry fruit that lingers on a long finish. The power this wine displayed in its youth has given way to balance and harmony. A great bottle that was a thrill to drink.
This has years to go, provided, of course, that there are no issues with provenance and storage. The '90 and '91 versions are also superb, the latter showing pronounced gamey and barnyard qualities.

Thanks for this TN - seems to have been a very fine bottle … and I agree reg. the 1991 … a great effort (and btw I prefer it to the 1990).
THIS should be read by the readers of the thread “What´s the point of aging wine” !!! [wow.gif]

Peter, I remember tasting the whole 1985 lineup there in 1988…this was clearly the best of the bunch…as, IMO, Grands-Echezaux often it. But, I found the range to have been very rustic at the time, and never visited again. I vividly remember Mrs. Mongeard popping the corks on some of these…I heard they changed later, but I found producers by then more in tune with what I wanted.

Do you think this wine is rustic? Full of finesse? I can’t tell from your note, and am curious.

Thanks for the note, I had a good bottle 3 months ago too. Fantastic nose.

The bottle I drank was not rustic in the least. The raw power it showed early on has indeed been transformed over the decades, and is now a wine of finesse and real balance.