looking for random sqn trivia/knowledge

All,

I’m putting together a tasting of SQN and was trying to remember some of the record crazy high prices some of the wines brought in at auction. I recall some rose brought crazy money and some of their early wines.

thanks very much

-paul

Read this article which talks about the Rose that sold for $45,000.

seem to recall that rose went for like 38k to complete a collection
pearl clutcher chardonnay was going crazy for a while
i’m sure there’s plenty of other examples

So what you’re saying is I should have been buying the whites and rosé even if I don’t have interest in drinking them?

Only for flipping purposes :slight_smile:

In all honesty, you should buy them and sell them to me at retail because I drink them. The whites in particular are sometimes the hardest hit by low yields and with only one white/year (for the most part) combined with their ageability make them great purchases for somebody like me :slight_smile:

By the way, I thought that rosé actually went for $100k as part of a charity event?

Has SQN ever made a dry still chardonnay?

2012 Pearl Clutcher. I think two barrels.

What was it like?

Lately I’ve been wondering about the question of “Greatest California Chardonnay”, and I got to wondering whether SQN had ever made a candidate for the title.

[Year in & year out, I’d be surprised if it weren’t Arcadian Sleepy Hollow, but if there’s a Cali Chard which is consistently better than ASH, then I’d love to know what it is.]

Well that is quite a statement Thank you Nathan not sure anyone else agrees but we keep trying.

And the 1990 Thief Chardonnay. 1990 Thief Chardonnay

Chopper in to the helipad and ask Manfred yourself.

I hear it’s phenomenal!

I have had it three times thus far and it has been completely astounding each time - one of the best Cali Chards that I’ve ever had - I’d put it up against the best of Marcassin, Aubert, Peter Michael, Kistler, Kongsgaard and the like (I’ve never had Arcadian Sleepy Hollow). The last time was a week or so ago and a 2007 Marcassin Marcassin that I had at the same time, while fantastic, was a notch or two below. There is a freshness and complexity that beguiles the senses! [cheers.gif]

Since I’m out of luck in buying any more of this one (they sell for Lafon/Ramonet/DRC Montrachet types prices), I hope Manfred makes another one!!

I have only tasted it once, but it was off the charts good. Dan said it perfectly.