TN: 2011 Joseph Voillot Pommard Rugiens

This is a perfect example of why I like this vintage. The fruit is all red, starting with a bright, high-toned nose of cranberry fruit that one can smell right to the bottom of the glass. It is cool, clean and lean on the palate, and transparent such that Burgundy’s many facets of earth, minerals, spice and the like are on full display. The acids are brisk and the tannins easy. In ten years, like so many 2011 red Burgundies, this will be a beauty.

Voillot has made some very 2011’s. So has Alain Michelot. Some others have not been as successful. Liger Belair Aux Cras NSG looked too angular and weedy with sharp acidity.

This is an underrated source of Volnay and Pommard in any vintage, and I agree that Voillot did very well in 2011. I have noticed that a lot of my positive notes on 11 come from good producers in this stretch of the Cote de Beaune. I do think the year overall remains the proverbial mixed bag for reds (even without greenies, there are wines that lack energy and focus), but I am happy with what is in my personal bag/cellar.