Saturday afternoon TNs: Chianti x 3

Seamless on the palate, decent persistence and acidity, sweet & sour cherry fruit - drinking well today, although I don’t think this vintage will be a long distance runner.

Nicely balanced on the palate - finish is a little short, but acidity here is also adequate. You don’t get the same sour cherry notes that I mentioned in the Montenidoli. My recollection was that 2009 was a pretty hot/ripe year in Chianti - while this is still well-made and drinkable, it doesn’t seem to possess the “stuffing” that Castell usually has in a good year.

Light-bodied on the palate, adequate acidity, decent finish, sweet & sour cherry fruit - not bad, and slightly “rough”, so this may still improve with some more time in the bottle.

Posted from CellarTracker

thanks for the notes! I just tried the regular Felsina chianti, it was really nice. I think I’m going to try a Fontodi chianti next, good to learn about other Chianti producers.

It is a Sangiovese night for us as well. I’ve got a 2010 Fontodi CC on deck. I was going to open a Brunello too, but maybe I’ll open a Felsina 07 CCR instead. If you only had two of them, would you hold?

No, I think it’s definitely drinkable right now, Jeff.

Bob, we ended up opening an 09 Stella di Campalto Rosso and a 95 Caparzo Brunello. The Brunello was tired but the Rosso was nice with some air. We never got to the Fontodi or Felsina.