TN: Bad boy wine night - mostly high octane wines with a surprise or two.

BAD BOY WINE NIGHT - MOSTLY HIGH OCTANE WINES WITH A SURPRISE OR TWO. - The Grill Room at Rosewood DC (5/25/2017)

The rule was that the best bottle of blind red by popular vote gets off 100% free for the dinner check and the tip. The format tends to encourage participants to bring something bold and opulent, i.e. high octane. Dennis generously brought the 00 Margaux and it was the second favorite of the night which was a pleasant surprise. Since the Chef Ruta left, the food has been pretty lame but the service was perfect as usual. Although most of these are not what I prefer to drink, it was fun and educational to try them blind.
White - Flight 1

• 2009 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc Cuvée Roussanne Vieilles Vignes - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    It is quite remarkable/impressive how this has evolved/settled. Strong mineral and ripe yellow fruit driven nose, subtle pineapple, dry peach, candied orange peel, a hint of lychee, spicy spices and honey. Deeply toned but quite fresh due to strong mineral presence and bright acidity, quite spicy and a long yellow fruit and mineral driven finish. There is a hint of heat at the end that is not too bothersome. Drinking wonderfully. (96 pts.)
  • 2008 Lucien Le Moine Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Grande Montagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru
    Bright yellow color. Very ripe yellow fruit driven nose, a hint of fresh OJ, peach marmalade, butterscotch, strong oyster shell and a hint of oak. Fully integrated palate, bright acidity, a hint of oak, excellent mineral presence and a medium to long finish. I have opened four bottles and none have been premoxed. However this is a flamboyant ripe style of white Burgundy, don’t expect Chablis here. (93 pts.)

White - Flight 2

• 2010 Aubert Chardonnay Lauren Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Expressive nose displaying ripe yellow fruit, lemon curd, mango, pineapple, sesame/oak, butter scotch, honey and limestone. Impressive concentration, nicely integrated palate, good acidity and mineral and a long sweet finish with a hint of heat and oak at the end. In Oct, 2014, I wrote “Need a couple of years to settle.” and it has. It appears that Aubert really hits the sweet spot around sixth or seventh year. (95 pts.)
  • 2012 Aubert Chardonnay Lauren Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Surprisingly subtle and controlled for an Aubert, mostly white fruit, pear, apple, a hint of lemon curd, cinnamon, oak, sesame and limestone. The palate closely mirrors the nose, cool and fresh, medium acidity, strong mineral presence and a medium to long finish with a hint of heat at the end. Perhaps wait for a couple more years hoping that this will drink like the 10 version served next. (93 pts.)

White - Flight 3

• 2010 Domaine Dublère Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru
    Clean and fresh nose displaying pear, apple, a hint of lanoline, limestone and cool mountain stream. Cool and energetic palate, generous white fruit driven palate impression, good acidity and mineral presence and a clean long finish. My first experience with a Dublere chablis and I am impressed. (93 pts.)
  • 2007 Alban Vineyards Viognier - USA, California, Central Coast
    Slightly advanced color. Slightly medicinal nose, lychee, dry apricot, honey and butter scotch. Fully integrated palate, good acidity and a medium finish. It seems a bit cloying and tired. This is more akin to a ten year old basic Viognier than a Condrieu. Also, Viognier, even Condrieu, is better to be consumed upon release as Hugh Johnson recommends in his encyclopedia of wine. (86 pts.)
  • 2014 Sine Qua Non Lightmotif - USA, California
    Somewhat restrained nose, lemon curd, pineapple, banana, pear and mineral. Very good concentration, medium acidity and a clean medium to long finish with a hint of heat at the end. This is a big scale high octane wine that is a bit disjointed at the moment. (90 pts.)

Red - Flight 1

• 2005 Levy & McClellan Red - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Wine 1 - Expressive nose displaying intense crème de cassis, plum, strong lead pencil, cabernet dust, caramel, sweet spices, still a hint of oak/vanilla and cedar. Incredibly concentrated, intense cassis driven palate impression, nicely layered, unctuous yet silky, good acidity and a long intense cassis driven finish. It has reach the early stage of youthful peak. It has developed a lot better than I anticipated initially. Obviously this is a very ripe and highly extracted style of Napa cab so caveat emptor! (96 pts.)
  • 2010 Dana Estates Cabernet Sauvignon Lotus Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena
    Wine 2 - The color is inky black. What is remarkable is the nose that somehow remains pretty cool despite being ripe and extracted. Very youthful nose displaying intense black fruit, ink, rose, cabernet dust, cinnamon, oak and mineral. Excellent concentration, cool and suave, formidable structure with noticeably dry tannins and a long cool inky finish. The third wine of the night.

This has not budged at all from a year ago. This still needs time to resolve the tannins. (94 pts.)

Red - Flight 2

• 2000 Château Margaux - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
    Wine 3 - Seems old school, may be Dunn. Tasting it after two high octane wines is a bit challenging at first. Very harmonious nose displaying cassis, plum, ink, lead pencil, rose and cedar. Very precise palate, beautifully layered, silky and polished, nicely integrated tannins and a long seamless finish that resonates. My initial guess is Dunn but the palate is too seamless and sophisticate. I am guessing the 90 Margaux but have a hard time believing that someone would have brought it to a high octane fest! The second favorite of the night! (96 pts.)
  • 2007 Araujo Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Eisele Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Wine 4 - Ripe but polished nose displaying cool black fruit, cassis, caramel, cedar and coconut. The coconut/oak note is very strong like Pina Colada. Excellent concentration, nicely layered, silky and smooth, no noticeable tannins and a long cassis and coconut driven finish. Drinking wonderfully in a California cultish way. (94 pts.)

Red - Flight 3

• 2005 Sine Qua Non Syrah Atlantis Fe2O3~1a, b & c - USA, California
    Wine 5 -The first note is pepper and caramel and the fruit is opulent and luxurious, a telltale sign of SQN. Expressive nose displaying rich red and black fruit, blackberry jam, cherry, coffee, a hint of tapenade and smoke. Excellent concentration, beautifully layered, silky and polished, no noticeable tannins and a long peppery finish. The bottle looks tall so I cheat and guess it correctly. It has reached the peak drinking windows.
    The overall expression is significantly different than the 17th nail served next by a coincidence. This displays the clear Syrah peppery characters as the caramel/oak note is not as strong. It also seems not as concentrated. (95 pts.)
  • 2005 Sine Qua Non Syrah The 17th Nail in My Cranium - USA, California
    Wine 6 - There is a hint of pepper. Very ripe nose displaying jammy black fruit, blackberry jam, caramel, strong mint, milk chocolate and dark spices. Incredible concentration, opulent jammy black fruit and caramel driven palate impression, thick and oily, nicely layered and a long finish with a hint of alcohol at the end. The blind tasting is tricky as I am thinking there can’t be more than one Syrah. Strong mint makes me to guess as a high end Malbec! (94 pts.)

Red - Flight 4

• 2005 Colgin Cariad - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Harmonious youthful ripe nose displaying cassis, blackberry jam, plum, cedar, dark milk chocolate and lead pencil. Excellent concentration, nicely layered, round, silky, polished, nicely integrated tannins and a long finish. This is a beautifully mature cult cab at the youthful peak. Voted as WOTN. (97 pts.)
  • 1990 Château Troplong Mondot - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Wine 8 - Very ripe yet slightly green nose, caramel, a hint of port, green bell pepper, mint and lead pencil. Fully integrated silky palate. It is difficult to taste this after so many fruit bombs. My guess is a mature dunn. Not a bad wine but sort of a bad placement. (93 pts.)

As usual, the dinner lasted almost five hours and a great time was had by all!
Posted from CellarTracker

cool notes kevin and definitely not your usual fare
i find the l&m, sqn and colgin notes very interesting
i don’t remember mint from 17th nail, but i’ve got a couple left and will now inevitably smell mint!!

WoW!
So many Rockstars!

That is a really cool idea, I must say. I like the idea of everyone having a vested interest in bringing the best wine. Very cool. Is it ever difficult to be truly objective? What I mean is, I could see myself inadvertently favoring what I thought was my wine.

I speak not only for myself, but for my good friend Señor Orlando, when I say, lovely notes. Sounds like it was an excellent evening for all.