TN: 2003 Roger Sabon - Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Prestige

2003 Roger Sabon Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Prestige - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (4/1/2017)
– decanted 30 minutes before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a few hours –

NOSE: medium-strong aromas; definitely smells aged — baked dark fruits; mesquite; a touch earthy; not funky.

BODY: dark ruby color of medium-deep depth, with bricking throughout; sediment present; {forgot to note weight}.

TASTE: tertiary red/purple fruits; strong earthy element; leather; no brett; still some tannins sticking around; light garrigué; medium to medium+ acidity; 14.5% alc. is a little noticeable; this is very good, and is probably in the middle or back end of its prime drink window. My gut impression score of 90-91 was a touch low. Ashley’s gut impression score is 89.

50, 5, 12, 17, 8 = (92 pts.)

I’m glad someone had better luck with the 2003 So. Rhones. I bought some on release thinking they would be like 1990, but the ones I picked didn’t keep well. Maybe the luxe cuvees were better balanced?

At least the Northern end of the valley did awesome.

Arv,

More often than not, '03 CdPs do not prove themselves likable, for my preferences. This bottle, however, in stark contrast to a previous bottle of nine years ago (TN below), showed quite nicely:

2003 Roger Sabon Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Prestige - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (12/30/2007)
A Night of Chateauneuf in Edina, MN (Edina Country Club): I tasted this wine at a CdP offline on 12/30/2007, in Edina, MN. (All wines were tasting blind, in a random order. References such as “Blind 3” or “Blind 4” have been replaced with the wines’ actual names)

NOSE: bouquet on this is a vast departure from that of the 2003 Janasse Chaupin. This nose is much softer - kind of like smelling a chalky cottonball. Light nose - a touch perfumy.

BODY: light brown-red colored; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: much more acidic than the '03 Janasse Chaupin; earthy; kind of weak.

50, 5, 11, 14, 7 =(87 pts.)