TN: 2008 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese

• 2008 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (5/25/2017)
    Pale yellow colored with peach aromas backed up by yellow apple. The flavors follow the nose with the addition of kefir lime. Lightweight and less sweet than the pradikat level would suggest. There’s a nice mineral streak and enough acid to keep the palate feeling fresh and balanced. Some creaminess, which should get more pronounced with time. Seems to be entering what should be a very long drinking window.
    91+ (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I recognize that 2008 is considered a Kab/Spat vintage, but based on tonight’s showing, I am glad to have more in my cellar. Less sweet than many Spats being produced today, it’s not a crime to drink now, but will improve with time.

I’m definitely a Kabinett guy…Spatlese number two, but a 30 year old Auslese really hits a sweet spot for me…problem is I’ll be 62 when these wines hit that plateau.

Prum has generally maintained a more classical style/weight with the wines. It’s why I own so much. They are a good counterbalance to the delicious, but potentially over-rich wines that come from so many producers.

I think this was even a bit lightweight for Prüm, but I’m not complaining. Agreed that the restraint is a positive.

There was a time when I felt that way about the 2002 and 2004 WS Auslese, but time enhanced the complexity, and made the general lightness seem irrelevant.