Vinous/Galloni and Cappellano

random question, i see glowing reviews here, but no scores. is there a story behind not scoring this producer?

(i love the wines an don’t care about the actual score - just thought it was interesting).

Yes, Teobaldo asked Wasserman not to score his wines when Wasserman was writing a book on Piedmont. That story is retold on the back label.

The previous owner, Teobaldo, would not let a critic score a wine using points (thus, never a “Parker point”). I believe his son feels the same way, and Galloni is probably keeping that side of the bargain.

Found the​ actual text:
In 1983 I asked the journalist Sheldon Wasserman not to publish scores for my wines. Not only did he not publish the scores: he also wrote that I had asked not to be included in “classifications” in which a comparison becomes a divisive numerical term rather than expressing human toil. I have not changed my mind: my tiny farm producing 20,000 bottles of wine a year interests only a small number of customer/friends. I believe in freedom of information, even if the judgement is negative. I think of my hills as an anarchical arena, with no inquisitors or opposing factions, whose inner richness is stimulated by severe, thoughtful critics. I strive for community that can still express solidarity with whoever has not been so well rewarded by Mother Nature.

92 pts.

fascinating and fantastic. thanks gents.

I am not sure how he could prevent it. Presumably Galloni (or any of them) could buy a bottle and hang a number on it. Or Suckling could just give both wines a 97 without tasting it.

Well he couldn’t have prevented it, but I know critics actually respected it, and I think if anyone transgressed, they would not be welcome at the estate again.

Oh I agree. It is nice (surprising?) that they have respected his wishes. Does he actually receive them at the estate?

here’s the back label from a current release. i love the “wishful thinking? allow me to dream”

Showin’ off with that magnum, yo.

[truce.gif] [truce.gif] [truce.gif]