TN: 2001 Patrice Rion Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Charmes

• 2001 Patrice Rion Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Charmes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru (5/24/2017)
    From an unopened six pack purchased on release. Deep ruby red, saturated and clear throughout. We popped and poured this just 15 minutes or so before we were done with the previous course. The nose was immediately compelling with no noticeable wood signature, just black cherry and blackberry, purple flowers, earth and sweet baking spices. The nose only got better and better over the next hour or so, becoming deeper and broader. My first sip was an absolute delight - soft, balanced, but with decided richness and a good backbone still perfectly intact. Both chewy and elegant, and very pretty with a snappy finish of moderate length. I think this is perfectly mature and will hold here for a few years easily. Very tasty stuff, providing the opportunity to taste real aged burgundy without pretension or ceremony. I can’t say often enough how happy I am to have these solid 1er crus from good producers that cost a song when purchased, and have developed into such treats. This is why we accumulate and age wine. This, right here.

Posted from CellarTracker

I have often said that my main regret in 30 years of chasing Burgs is that I didn’t buy enough 1er cru. (I have grand crus to console me.)

00, 01, even 88 are drinking pretty well now.

Nice note.

Good job holding that six pack until now. I feel like many people have drunk through most of their Burgundies by the time they really start to show well.

One of the good things about offsite storage!

To be fair, this was part of my husband’s dowry, so he’s the one who deserves the praise in this case.

Good note. Wonder how much that six pack was on release. Current release is close to a Benjamin a bottle in price.