TNs: Champagne, Syrah, Riesling & a Spanish mix

Besides one or two tired bottles I am very happy with the wines I have been drinking recently. The two Spanish whites were both quite eye-opening, I think I should dive deeper into that world.

• 2009 Jean Milan Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Symphorine Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (25.5.2017)
    So fresh so clean on the nose with notes of yellow apple, whipped cream, iodine and a hint of baking spices. An extravagantly large and dense mousse. Bone dry, vinous and lifted - fantastic juice! There is a very nice bitter edge to the palate. Finishes clean and mouth-wateringly tangy. Super gastronomic, a sushi wine par excellence.
  • 2014 Pierre Gaillard St. Joseph Clos de Cuminaille - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (14.5.2017)
    Decanted for 1h, enjoyed over ~1h dinner. The nose is very beautiful and classic in a perfumed and floral way. Plenty of juicy, savory blackberry and black pepper. Rocky and minerally. The oak is not shy but it does not dominate either. Medium-bodied yet quite dense and very firm on the palate. Very much dark-fruited and savory with notes of blackberry, cherry, black pepper and minerals. Massively succulent with a long finish that is clean, tangy and fresh. Sticky tannins and energizing acidity. At 12,5 % super drinkable yet with plenty of substance. A very notable St. Joseph I think; purists/hardcore Gonon fans might complain about the oak but everyone else will probably enjoy this a lot.
  • 2015 Forja del Salnés Rías Baixas Leirana Finca Genoveva - Spain, Galicia, Rías Baixas (11.5.2017)
    The nose is simply amazing: salty and flinty with notes of peach, grapefruit, pine and herbs. There is very intriguing exotic ripeness about it and yet the wine is in no way overripe, not one bit. On the palate bone dry and ridiculously intense with delightfully unforgiving acidity. Tangy to the point of almost being austere but damn if it isn’t tasty and fun. There is plenty of volume but also so much drive and energy that it almost goes unnoticed. Quite herbal with tart green fruit. Mean stuff, yet I can’t help absolutely loving this lip-smacking marvel. Perfect with pan-fried pike perch.
  • 2005 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Bosconia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (7.5.2017)
    Plenty of dry, resiny oak on the wonderful, generous nose. Also cherry, fig, cocoa, xmas spices and dust. Medium-bodied, dry and crazy savory on the palate. Mighty juicy and bright with Vermouth-esque bitterness to the red curranty fruit. Highly acidic, finishes very clean. Pleasantly sticky tannins.
  • 2009 Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Gastronome - France, Champagne (30.4.2017)
    Absolutely classic on the nose with notes of toast, cardamom, apple, smoke and a hint of apricot. The firm, dense and persistent mousse reveals a bone dry, linear and highly acidic wine. Somewhat primary with restrained appley fruit. Not very expressive and not a world beater on its own but great with food due to its structure and savory nature. A very direct and pure style, not a crowd pleaser but speaks of extremely high level of winemaking.
  • 2012 Domaine Jean-Claude Marsanne St. Joseph - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (30.4.2017)
    Blackberry, olives, blood and iron on the nose. Medium-bodied, firm and delightfully edgy. Ground black pepper, blackberry, wet leaves and olives. Impeccably balanced, drinks extremely well. A true classic.
  • 2013 Franz Künstler Rüdesheimer Berg Roseneck Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Rheingau (30.4.2017)
    A criminally delicious nose of pineapple, lime, vanilla and kerosene. On the palate as paradoxical as only Riesling can be. Sweet for sure yet intensely acidic and absolutely weightless. Minerally, crisp and outright electric - this level of focus is rare. Sublime stuff for very little money.
  • 2015 Reinhard & Beate Knebel Winninger Hamm Riesling - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (23.4.2017)
    Quite a dark yellow color. I really like the nose which is - more than anything - extremely salty. It also packs plenty of fruit (yellow plum and apple) and some herbal notes. The palate is unsurprisingly rich, gently dry and sufficiently acidic. I actually think that there is plenty of acidity, it’s just hiding a bit under all the concentration. Yellow-fruited with a tonic-like quality and some spice. Perhaps a tad unusual and somewhat riper than my ideal but goes down easily and is pleasant enough overall.
  • 2015 Finca Vinoa Ribeiro - Spain, Galicia, Ribeiro (21.4.2017)
    The nose is very generous and aromatic, instantly filling the nostrils with notes of yellow plum, honeydew, baking spices and cream/lees. Medium-bodied and airy on the palate with good underlying acidity. Feels a bit soft at first but firms up nicely towards the clean, slightly spicy finish. Impeccably balanced, damn this is tasty! Goes down alarmingly easy and makes you crave for more. No heat with somewhat restrained fruit, kinda makes me think of Muscadet. Fantastic value.
  • 2013 Von Schubert Maximin Grünhäuser Abtsberg Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (14.4.2017)
    The nose is very bright and slightly reductive with all kinds of tangy green and yellow fruits such as carambola, apple and lime. Quite concentrated and thick on the palate with absolutely superb acidity. Tastes at best off-dry and by the time we get to the finish it tastes truly dry. Extremely intense with somewhat austere sourness (think underripe apple and lime zest) in the end. Well made but needs time.

Posted from CellarTracker

Fine notes, and a number of wines I bet I would love! Thanks for posting

Thanks, I am happy that you enjoyed them!

I really like the Domaine Jean Claude Marsanne St Joseph. This is a property that seems to be flying under the radar at the moment.

Indeed! I wonder if it is just due to distribution/availability as the the quality and style should appeal to many here.