Bern's Steakhouse at bar

Was just wondering if anyone has some recommendations for wines by the Glass at the bar. Have been to Bern’s a dozen times or more but never sat at the bar. I know they give you some wines that are not on the menu.

The selection changes very frequently at the WTG section in the bar. My advice is to tell the bartender what you are looking for and let him/her guide you.

This.

I eat at the bar about once per quarter. The BTG list changes regularly, but always has some unique and mature offerings. I ask the bartender, but rarely hesitate as they are so cheap. I recently had a '79 Mondavi Zin and a '75 Cornas from an unknown producer, both under $10, both very enjoyable. They also recently had the 1987 Clos de Val Cab Reserve for $11.75. I’ve had times when the wines by the glass were equally as enjoyable as the “special” bottle that I ultimately ordered.

Berns Bar is great! Interesting wines for less cost than a warm coors light at a pro sports game. Just make sure to ask how long the bottle has been open prior to you, or if you’re really charming… have them open a fresh one.

I drank the same wines Alfert listed above, and they are great QPR. 100% agree… but nobody wants a 70s zin that was opened yesterday.

Thanks for the feedback. Greatly appreciated.

When I went the by the glass list posted on their website was current. Which would make the more interesting wines:
Mondavi 1975 Zinfandel
Chateau de la Prat 1982 Julienas
Parducci 1973 Petit Syrah

Not exactly a haul but worth trying and you should ask if they have anything else old open BTG

There’s also a cheap 1985 rhone, but it doesn’t seem exciting.

In the slightly aged bracket the 2001 penfolds st Henri is well worth getting

That’s awesome! I had no idea they had vintages that old BTG. Look forward to checking that out next time in Tampa.

Thanks!
Jim

Robert, I have a bottle of that Clos Du Val. How was it? Still drinking?

Yeh, I had a 1975 Inglenook Cabernet Sauvignon at the Bern’s bar, was drinking wonderfully!

Very solid, old-school Cali Cab. They don’t make it like this anymore. Drinking very well, but bear in mind, Bern’s cellar is at 49 degrees.

Can’t wait to go on Sunday . Thanks for all your input t.