TN: Gottardi Blauburgunder '10...(short/boring)

Tried this last night w/ leftovers:

1. Weingut Gottardi Blauburgunder Mazzon Dd’OC: Sudtiroler (14%; ViasImports; EB; www.gottardi-mazzon.com) Egna/Neumarkt/Bolzano 2010: Med.light color; slight alcoholic quite earthy/dusty/loamy/mushroomy light PN/black cherry nose; rather tart/tangy/metallic quite earthy/loamy/mushroomy light PN/black cherry/herbal flavor w/ light tangy/gentle tannins; med.long very tart/tangy/metallic quite earthy/loamy/mushroomy/root cellar some PN/black cherry/herbal finish w/ light gentle/angular tannins; a rather classic mountain Italian PN w/ loads of earthy/loamy character & not much fruit; an interesting terroir-driven wine; seems rather overpriced at $49.00 (SFW&S)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Blauburgunder is the German/Austrian name for PinotNoir. Gottardi is regarded as one of the best Pinot producers in the Sudtirol. I was attracted to this wine becaused it seemed rather pricey for a Sudtirol Pinot. It was at that. Would have liked a bit more fruit and a bit less terroir.
    Tom

Hi Tom
I’ve tried the 2013 - see TN below

• 2013 Weingut Gottardi Blauburgunder Mazzon - Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Alto Adige, Alto Adige - Südtirol (08/04/2017)
    Pale red-claret colour with a small band of bricking at the rim.

Pretty true to the grape, with some twigginess & smoke/tar with the red fruits sat more in the background.

Initially quite light on the palate but relatively assertive acidity helps it open up, though it does keep the flavours (predominately smoke & raspberry) in the background. The finish offers some tangy orange.

At the moment this is a little rustic and really needs food, even something quite fatty. It might well improve though I would have concern about whether there was enough depth of fruit for anything over 2-3 years.

Different vintage, but in both notes there is concern about whether the depth of fruit is sufficient to carry it. Price was £23.65 a fair bit cheaper, but not one I would re-buy.

regards
Ian

(For context, I don’t see either of us as fruit-bomb enthusiasts)

Thanks, Ian. Sounds like both our wines were pretty similar. I thought it a pretty typical Sudtirol Pinot…just not worth the $$$'s.
Tom