TN: 2006 Gouges La Perriere

considered a white Burgundy, it is and it isn’t. The story is that Gouges was strolling through his vineyards, noticed some white grapes on his Pinot Noir vines, grafted them and made a white wine. Now called Pinot Gouges, it is an albino Pinot Noir. Pinot Noir has one color gene and these vines lost it, making it a white wine. Tastes more like a red, it is a good but not great wine. Has good density and depth, a bit waxy like a Sémillon, it’s for me hard to describe. White descriptors don’t work. Interesting.

Alan–I’ve opened three bottles of 07 over the past two years. They were all oxidized, one of them the color of tea (that one was at Bern’s).
[head-bang.gif]

I bought a bunch of the '98 circa 2000 and still have a bottle or two. It has remained quite backward, with a touch of what seems like tannin. (I assume it is made like a normal white and is not left on the skins, though.) There can definitely be some faint pinot noir scents. No oxidation at all. On the contrary, the '98 never seems to budge from its youth.

FYI, pinot blanc is also a mutation of pinot noir.

I’ve had this wine in several vintages (people like to bring it to events because of the curiosity value) and never been impressed.

agree. More interesting than good and I was trying to convey that.

I’ve loved the Robert Chevillon version, which is also from pinot gouges.

It ages like a red wine…and is more than a novelty, IMO. Fun to bring out, too…

is this one a 1er cru? Chevillon’s is not.

yes, premier cru NSG.

Is it vinified as a white wine?