TN: Field music

Field Recordings, Tempranillo, Paso Robles, ‘Dead End Ranch’, 2013
Dark red color. Deep berry and dark plum aromas and palate, the petite sirah here feels outsized in influence. Simple in structure and ready to drink, this has enough acidity and a tactile finish with some paprika and spice to make an interesting wine to drink with food or by itself. 13.1% [tempranillo 82%, petite sirah 6%, graciano 6%, monastrall 6%] B+

Thanks for the note, Markus!!

I have been interested in the wines from Field Recordings, which do not receive much print here, unfortunately.

By all means search them out, Drew. I have had about a half dozen of different kinds, and although none have ever ‘wowed’ me, I’ve never disappointed and usually there is something interesting going on, especially at their price points (seldom are they above $30, at least where I see them).

I agree about the “something interesting” comment. Everything I have had (four or five different wines) have delivered at least something pleasantly unexpected. And I have had that tempranillo and pretty much agree with your assessment.

This has generally been my impression as well - interesting wines across the board, if never a real standout. We’ve never been disappointed in anything aside from a few bottles (& cans) of their baseline Fiction red blend which seemed off due to VA and/or reductive qualities. Most of those were about 5-6 years ago, though.

Big fan of these guys. Their wines are fun, all very well-priced, and are meant to be enjoyed in every sense of the word. They aren’t profound but they’re delicious.

One of their best wines is their Chenin Blanc that comes from the ‘Jurassic Vineyard’, part of the original Firestone Vineyard in Los Olives, that was planted own-rooted in 1978. A few others make some pretty good chenins from this site as well . . .

Cheers.

Big +1. Love that wine. It’s like $25. Easy buy.

Thanks guys - I’ll have to search that one out, as I keep hearing/hoping that there’s some really good chenin coming out of that vineyard and would love to try one.

Tegan uses Jurassic fruit for his Sandlands label, I think. At least he did.

Well then I take that back…i have had some really good chenin from that vineyard :slight_smile:

According to Field Recordings site, there is about 9 acres planted to it. That’s enough for quite a bit of Chenin. Others who get fruit from there include Habit and Storm (I believe) and perhaps Municipal Winemakers. Or I should say that each did at one time.

And 1978 would certainly be considered ‘old vine’ for the area - and not bad for own rooted vines.

Cheers.

This CT search shows several wineries that have made wines from Jurassic Park chenin, including a few I’m not familiar with…

Really enjoy Field Recording’s wines, especially in the the $15 - 25 range. Visited them in Tin City last summer; tried to get them to do a promo with moosejaw.com … No luck.

good wines and value. also have enjoyed their canned wines.