TN: 2014 Thierry Allemand Cornas Reynard (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas)

• 2014 Thierry Allemand Cornas Reynard - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (5/23/2017)
    Smells like the crusher…all plant matter and briary fruits. With air you get some wild herbs and game. It feels like great Grand Cru Burgundy in that you get power and intensity without any heaviness at all. It is silky and finishes with cleansing minerally acidity.

Posted from CellarTracker

Bless you child for taking one for the team. Mine just arrived. So tempted to open one asap.

+1 Mine is coming next month.

+1. Bought a bunch more yesterday, too

Wow, four palates that I admire very much hyped about this vintage. What gives? I assumed 2013 was better, but have not tried either. Candidly, I had dropped out of the Allemand hunt after 2011, but since my allocation of Rougeard just got axed, perhaps I just move the money back to Allemand.

Allemand is one of those producers that I don’t ever really look at what the year is, I just buy the wine. I have no idea if '13 is better than '14.

Like Jeremy I have no clue which is better. But seeing how incredible the 08 is drinking right now I buy whatever I get offered. (Got a case this vintage!!)

I’d say 13 is a bit “better”, but with Allemand that’s not saying a lot.

Sounds so darned interesting then looked up the price - ouch! Definitely a ‘special bottle’ kind of purchase for me . . .

Cheers!

Wouldn’t mind trying one of these mate next time we get together…(hint).

Never had one!

Mine arrive in September. I hadn’t bought any since the 2009 vintage as prices escalated but I got a good offer and have been pretty good with my wine budget this year.

Of course between the Allemand and the Oloroso and a few miscellaneous buys I’ve now spent about 75% of that budget and it’s only May.

make Jeremy open you an Allemand Sans Soufre!! champagne.gif champagne.gif

That is funny but thought the exact same thing.

Go for it. Allemand has so much energy and intensity in its youth, I don’t think you can go wrong.

Couldn’t help myself and busted the Chaillot last night.

2014 Thierry Allemand Cornas Chaillot: Perfectly ripe berry and plum fruit is tinged with mint and liniment. It is a wine of such great energy and vitality. It has flesh with detail and tannins just seem to occupy a space without imposing. It is silky of texture and possesses great persistence

Opened one tonight. Jeremy’s note is spot on. It’s not as big and bold as 12/13. Beautiful fruit and purity. Clean and silky

Alright, the drumbeat is too strong to resist: what Allemand wine available for under $200 would you recommend as a good example for current drinking to understand the appeal?

Max, as you’re in DC, Bassins gets these each year. I’ve seen the Reynard sell out initially and they’ll get a reload. I expect 2014s are due in soon. I also see a couple of folks listing 2011 sans Soufre at 2x the price if you’d like to try unicorn. I’ve had good luck slow-oxing the current release for 3-4 hours before drinking, 2010 Chaillot like this was one of the most stupendous young northern Rhone wines I’ve had.

My 13’s and 14’s are sitting in storage. Would you say 13 is the fuller / richer vintage for Allemand?

Stan - thanks, I see that Bassin’s has the '13 Chaillot. I’ll reach out to Phil and see what he says about inbound '14 Reynard. Especially appreciate the guidance on slow-ox’ing young examples (cue the skeptic choir).