Fave pairing for veal sweetbreads

Sautéed
House-made Spätzle
Brown butter and thyme
Morels if I can find them

Maybe a big oily Condrieu?

Wow - you’ll have to invite me to dinner in order to find out!

Montrachet.

I once quite enjoyed a Friedrich Becker Spätburgunder ‘B’ with a similar dish. The moderate yet obvious oak seemed to help there. Chardonnay would probably work well also, perhaps something from Ganevat even.

Red Burg…

Bubbly.

Good white Burg.

I actually wouldn’t mind a Douro white or a CdP Blanc.

Brown butter makes me want Sparkling Rose to cut the fat and give some lift.

I like the Montrachet idea. Meursault would work as well.

Meursault or Chassagne. You want a nice richish Chardonnay with that. Also recommended would be Marsanne / white Rhone.

At first I thought you were asking a trick question. Then I opened the thread and saw the deluge of white wine suggestions, all of which I find to be appropriate if not “the right answer.”

My immediate visceral reaction to the question, however, is the same as I thought yours would be: red Burgundy.

I was thinking the same thing – maybe a Bolly. But then I am often thinking about champagne!

Slightly different sauce pairing, but advice from Michel Roux: Crispy sweetbreads with wine, Michel Roux Jr - Decanter

This feels like a Rorschach test for a person’s favorite food wine in general, I don’t thing you can go wrong with red or white burgundy or a richer style champagne (and as another idea had a nice Tissot white with poached chicken in a morel sauce last month). I’d personally go with aged champagne like Bollinger, Vilmart or Taittinger CdC.

White burgundy, though I wouldn’t say no to a Champagne either.

mature white burgundy.(including 10+ year old grand cru Chablis)…hopefully not premoxed…would be my first choice for this…need some acidity to counterbalance the fat of the sweetbreads.

Mostly in agreement with Grafstrom on this. Best sweetbreads meal I’ve ever had was at August in New Orleans (John Besh’s place) back in 2003. Had 1994 Vogue Musigny with that and it was fantastic. Montrachet and Musigny would be tip top, but anything in the nearby environs would also suffice, I think.

Cheers,
fred

Morels were dried out crap so I bought Bunashimeji Mushrooms instead.
I also added some caramelized Vidalia Onion and finished with a splash of Champagne Vinegar.

I went with 1990 Fabien Coche-Bizouard Meursault 1er Cru Gouttes d’Or.
I’m still not sure I buy this wine as a 1990 but it is delicious nevertheless.
(lots of acidity to balance the richness of the dish).

Man I love Ris de Veau [cheers.gif]