TN: 1996 Lynch Bages and the problem with CT scores

So I’m sitting here post dinner (lamb chops with a garlic, Dijon, rosemary marinade) with a fantastic glass of 1996 Lynch Bages…this wine is hitting on all cylinders! The nose just draws you in with its intoxicating aromas of forest floor, leather, graphite and cassis. Perfect balance, a carnival of flavors…long smooth finish. I’m 96+ on this…LOL

Now…two fairly recent TN’s on CT…I can appreciate the abbreviated notes, but wtf is with 5/16 TN? Is that just a tough scorer? I can assure you that '96 Bordeaux doesn’t get much better than this…

5/16/2017 - Excellent wine plenty of fruit impeccably balanced wish I had more…90 Points

5/12/2017 - Perfect cork, and still a deep red colour. Classic Pauillac nose with oodles of cassis, blueberries, and charcoal. 40 second finish. Fantastic!..96 Points

I agree, Jeff. We love this wine. We have a couple of left and plan on trying one again soon.

Thanks,
Ed

If you love something, confusing or erroneous market information is your friend. THAT is how I WineHunt.

So what’s wrong with the 5/16 review? Sounds like they really like the wine. As do I. The point score…who cares?

Edit: and if you read the other reviews from the 5/16 reviewer they are all over the board. One reason to take CT reviews with a grain of salt. So again…

I had this a bit over a year ago for the first time and I was enthralled despite stiff competition from a huge amount of very high end mature Bordeaux. It may not be the 89/90, but it is really close to that level. Clearly you have a great palate, Jeff!

It’s that CT scores are being used today as a reference point, and the '90 point score doesn’t correlate to the TN…or the wine.

Yes you do and it is…

Jeff, don’t disagree. The problem here is CT scores being used as a reference point.

I have personally experienced considerable bottle variation with the '96 Lynch Bages and it is rumored that, as with the 2000, there several different bottlings were released by the Château. I’d rank the less exciting bottles I’ve had in the low 90s as far as points go. And as you say, the best bottles don’t attain the level of the '89 or '90. So while I’d be the last person to dissent from your point about cellartracker scores this may not be its best illustration.

Interesting…all of my '96’s (6 bottle of 375’s and 750’s) have rocked, but my lone 2000 in 7/14 was not up to expectations. I’ve never heard of different bottling before…

I just ignore people on CT if they have incompatible tasting notes with me on wines; clearly they have dissimilar palettes so I don’t really care what they think.

Typical production is in the region of 400,000 bottles, so given the limited size blending tanks there will always be different bottlings - true of any large Château or large production wine. Considerable effort generally goes into ensuring that they are consistent, but sometimes there are discernible differences. 2000 Lynch Bages is a prime example.

Yes how dare they not indulge in rampant points creep like the critics, just who do they think they are?!!
[wink.gif]

For some people 90 points is a high score, for others it is average. Some people score within the range of 90 to 100 points only and ignore all wines not inside 90 to 100. Some people score wines 95+ and others are never as high with their ratings.

The scores themselves are rubber yardsticks. The descriptors contain insight, though.

I find reviews on CellarTracker (or Trip Advisor, etc.) to be of limited use unless I know who the reviewer is and often even then.

I’m with Ian. You seem to be saying that everyone is obliged to inflate their scores like the professional critics do. 90 points used to be a very strong score. Now every wine that someone likes is 92-99.

My point is using CT scores for retail…they’re all over the place. The 5/16 score doesn’t seem to fit his TN…maybe it’s because he’s a really tough scorer…but if the '96 Lynch in only a 90 for him, I want to know what he’s drinking and rating in the high 90’s…

My therapist recommended I stop using Yelp.

If you look his highest score is a 93 so tough critic or skewed scale