Movin' On Up/The Return of Drinx/ Closet Cellar Build Question

I’m excited to say this is my first time back on Berserkers in well over a year and that mah lady and I are closing on our first condo on June 1st. Even more exciting is the prospect of converting the pantry/hall closet into a temp and humidity controlled cellar. I managed to pick up some nice double deep redwood racking last week (thanks cragislist) for $300 that holds 238 bottles, which, while limited, should suffice while we attempt to pay off our massive mortgage.
[swoon.gif]

I was thinking of demoing the existing drywall myself, hiring an electrician and professional to spray closed cell foam, and then drywalling/mudding myself with green board. However, I’m kind of in the dark when it comes to which cooling unit best suits such a small space as I’m seeing WhisperKool’s slimline might be overkill. Possibly a CellarPro 1800XT? I’m basically looking for an affordable, yet quiet (will vent into the hallway above the door frame) and reliable unit that will run the cellar at 55 degrees. Also, should I be looking for an easily serviceable unit, or is that less of a concern at the lower ($1,200ish) price points? Any other tips on working with such a small space are greatly appreciated. Once the cellar is up and running, be sure to drop a line as we plan on entertaining regularly on the roof deck. Thanks in advance!
[cheers.gif]
genMid.09578416_4_0.jpg
genMid.09578416_15_0.jpg
genMid.09578416_14_0.jpg

Congrats on the pad, man. I’m no help with regard to your questions, but I’m willing to bet that deck is going to provide some mighty fine consumption opportunities. [cheers.gif]

Thanks, man! I’ve already got a bunch of friends on board for Saturday/Sunday brunch/potluck wine drinking(s).

[drinkers.gif]

FYI look at the sticky thread for Hall of fame threads. Congratulations

Mark, welcome back. We’ve been wondering where you’ve been. I’m betting that condo comes with a much nicer toilet than your previous place. :wink:

I have a Cellar Pro 1800, XT I think, and it has been great. Not the quietest though.

Greetings Grasshopper,

Welcome back. Not sure about having that hot air venting to a space that will be frequently passed.

Drinx! Good to hear you’re alive and well, time for some more hall of fame threads champagne.gif

Ha! I saw that! I’m honored. [bow.gif]

Unfortunately, it will have to suffice as it’s the only halfway logical space to build. On a positive note, that section of the hallway only has a guard rail on the opposing wall and a massive open air stairwell that leads to the roof that I imagine will trap most of the hot air so it doesn’t linger in the hallway.

:slight_smile:

Thanks, man! I’ll see what I can whip up. :wink:

Thunderbucket shall be missed. :frowning:

Maybe you can find a used throne at a junkyard.
Welcome back–missed you. [cheers.gif]

Congratulations on the new home! I cannot imagine that room could produce and throw off enough heat to even notice in the attached hallway, especially if you have the AC and fan running in Summer.

Congrats on the new digs, hope Victor doesn’t see this…
Dang, I wish you lived closer so I could help ya build it, I just finished one.

Thanks, Scott! Glad to be back!

Ha! Thanks, Craig! I’ll be sure to post some pictures as the cellar progresses.

Good call, Mark. I also figured the heat would be minimal. Plus, if it does throw some noticeable heat, we have the working advantage of it ejecting above the door and most likely rising into the roof stairwell instead of being trapped in the hallway.
My number one concern now is putting in a unit that’s extremely quiet, as it will be next to the kitchen/living/dining room. WhisperKool’s website says the outside cellar noise level on a Slimline 2500 is 53 dBA. I’m curious as to whether anyone has experience with a smaller, quieter, system that they are satisfied with.

Until I finished the new cellar we had a big cabinet in the dinning room with the standard size Breezaire, and it never seemed loud even though it’s adjacent to the living room, however since it’s gone it seems so much quieter I’ll have to admit. I think the moral is you’ll get used to it.
Here’s mine:
IMG_0797.JPG
IMG_0792.JPG

Looks great! What’s the size and which unit are you running?

CellarPro 3200 rear ducted, nine foot ceiling, long way to lift that baby up there.
IMG_0477.JPG