TN: Wines with Pizza with the neighbors

WINES WITH PIZZA WITH THE NEIGHBORS - Tom and Betty’s (5/21/2017)

Last night, my wife and I ventured next door to have pizza with the neighbors. Everyone brought a bottle or two.

• 2014 Domaine Grand Veneur Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc La Fontaine - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    This was very nice and exceeded my expectations. Light golden in color. The nose is nice with orange peel, honeysuckle and wax. Full bodied. On the palate, deep with a nice complexity. The orange peel dominates a bit then turns a bit waxy on the finish (in a good way). Very impressive and drinking youthfully. (93 pts.)
  • 2004 Dönnhoff Riesling - Germany, Nahe
    I thought I had let this go to far and had low hopes. It rocked and was great. A crowd favorite. Deep golden, slight orange in color. The nose has pineapple and a slight petrol note. On the palate, slightly sweet. Pineapple and apples. Bit of wet stones. Long finish. Great with food. $17 and 13 years later, I wish I still had more. (91 pts.)
  • 2015 Ghost Block Zinfandel Pelissa Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville
    The crowd liked this a lot more than I. This has way too much oak for my tastes. I think it calms down with some age as there is plenty of fruit. Right now, purple in color. The nose has berries, bramble, spice and fresh cut lumber. On the palate, there is a bit of searing oak but also a lot of fruit. Thick tannins. I suppose I would score it about 85 right now, but others were raving about it.
  • 2007 Igino Accordini Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Le Bessole - Italy, Veneto, Valpolicella, Amarone della Valpolicella Classico
    Tom opened this the night before and I think that helped it. I have had this a few times. Still nothing to suggest an Amarone to me, but a fine Vapolicella. Ruby/purple in color. The nose has black cherries and slight plums on the nose. Cherries and dark cherries on the palate. Good acidity. This bottle seemed to have a bit more life in than prior bottles. That may be due to the air. Very enjoyable. (89 pts.)
  • 2011 Orin Swift D66 - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Roussillon, Vin de Pays des Côtes Catalanes
    Purple in color. The nose has black cherries and spice and fresh cut lumber. On the palate, dark cherries. Plenty of heat, especially on the finish. I think this would benefit from a cooler serving temperature. It seemed quite disjointed to me. (88 pts.)

A fun night! Thanks Tom and Betty.
Posted from CellarTracker

thanks for the notes, always enjoy reading them. Interesting to hear about the Donnhoff riesling, seems like a great QPR.

Thanks Loren!

And as for the D66, i had a 2009 recently, and it’s was still just loaded with oak and super hot. Pretty sure these wines will not get much better even with plenty of age.