DC Wine Dinner, Eric Tomasi's House, 5/20

First, THANK YOU to Eric Tomasi for putting on a terrific show. Not only did he organize the event, volunteer his house, supply all the glassware, furniture, non-alcoholic drinks, etc. plus a good share of the wines, but he supplied a delicious dinner including beef burgundy, jerk chicken, mashed potatoes, and green beans. Thanks to Eric for all the work you put in making this happen and giving everybody a great evening!

Now some tasting impressions – not even calling them tasting notes as I did not have pen and paper and was not focusing to produce precise in-the-moment notes. No pretense to completeness or precision here. Hopefully others will chime in with more details. The evening featured a pot luck lineup of opening Champagnes, a vertical of Leoville Barton and other Bordeaux, a range of interesting Napa Valley wines, and some excellent dessert wines. I came a little late and had no Champagnes so I cannot comment on those.

1995 Vieux Chateau Certan – gorgeous wine and possibly the wine of the night. The person who brought this decanted it several hours in advance so it was very soft and open. A delicate, lush, perfectly aged Pomerol. If you wanted to fault it, did not have a big finish or exceptional depth/knockout fruit. But terrific mouthfeel, finesse, and complexity. Classic right bank. A burgundian Bordeaux. Excellent match with the beef burgundy, very well proportioned as a food wine. Right in its drinking window.

Leoville Barton vertical – this was a very good contrast as all of these wines had the same house style, dark fruited but the classic cassis berry-type fruit than the over-ripe plum or raisin style, very classical Bordeaux with good balance and well integrated oak. But huge differences in vintage character.

1999 Leoville Barton – vivid cassis/blackberry type flavors along with a touch of funky earth to complement the fruit. The tannins have receded and the wine is in early peak, still fruity but just beginning to develop secondaries. As I discussed with another person there, 1999 is an underrated vintage with a lot of charm. Made for an interesting contrast with the 2000 as it is clearly a “smaller” and perhaps inferior wine but also better drinking at the moment.

2000 Leoville Barton – As I said, interesting contrast with the 1999, with the 2000 being deeper, bigger, more forbidding, and much more austere. Tannins cut short the midpalate and finish. Nice nose gives good promise for the future, good weight on the palate. Interesting but hardly hedonistic at the moment, perhaps more decanting would have opened it up more.

2003 Leoville Barton – Also showing young and tannic on the palate, but the nose was more luxurious and hedonistic than any of the other LBs. A lot of milk chocolate and plum. Had some charm already along with the tannins and matched well with the food, this is going to be very good and at least for now was more fun and perhaps more promising than the 2000.

2004 Leoville Barton – Had just a sip of this as I’ve had it many times before, but like the 1999 it is ready to roll. Deeper fruit and in general a darker/more layered and intriguing character than the 1999, but possibly less charm and brightness than that vintage.

California wines

1992 Mayacamas – still alive but lacked fruit. A little thin and tart and flavors had a pronounced green pepper edge to them. Reasonably well balanced and not flawed exactly but I didn’t find it particularly pleasant either.

1999 Spottswoode – this bottle felt flawed, some of us thought it was brett and others identified volatile acidity. Some sweetness under that, previous bottles I’ve had of this have been sweeter. But the depth of fruit was definitely not enough to carry whatever else was going on with it.

2004 Husic Las Palmas – very smooth and easy drinking, tannins gone if they were ever there, flavors tended toward the fig / raisin / plum end of the spectrum. Very ripe, some would find it overripe, others might like the style. Heavy and not IMO refreshing, but also rich and velvety. I felt like it was almost Amarone-styled.

2007/2011 Black Cat EMH Cabernet – quite a contrast with the Husic as these wines are fairly Bordeaux styled for a Napa, with good acidic lift and a streamlined, less rich, somewhat more red fruited style. I enjoyed them, however found that the 2007 had some excess alcoholic heat that did not integrate as well with the rest of the flavors as the 2011 did.

Dessert Wines

2009 Doisy Vedrines – Lively, sweet pineapple, lemon custard, more toward the fruit plate side of Sauternes than the spicy botrytis side. Markedly sweet but enough acidic cut to avoid being cloying. Very enjoyable if you like the style. Quite young yet as one would expect.

1970 Guiraud – totally different aged Sauternes character as compared to the DV. Brown/mahogany color, elegant balance of flavors, a tangy sweet quality I’m having a hard time finding the words for. Some spice and almost a touch of sherried character, although not in a flawed way.

2008 (?) Banyuls – forgot or never saw the producer of this. Very mellow and smooth, good complement to the chocolate cake as one would expect. No alcoholic heat at all, very well integrated. A nice easygoing black cherry type fruit, although honestly this was at the end of the evening and I mostly just remember how smooth it was.

I wanted to thank everyone for stopping by for the Dinner. I had a great time and people brought some great wines! Special thanks to Corey and Christin for bringing the delicious cake, Billy and Helena for the Portuguese cheese puffs, and Alex and Aleks for the all the delicious breads.

I can add to the champers/sparkling.

NV Roederer brut premier. - This wine really held its own. I was surprised by the power and intensity.
NV Ruinart BdB - I tend to like older BdB, and this was no different, nicely complex, but I wanted more autolytics.
2013 Under The Wire Pinot Noir Sparkling Alder Springs Vineyard - Slightly better than the last bottle, a bit more vinous with some moderate RS. Nice, but am on the fence regarding these wines.
2002 Piper-Heidsieck Champagne Cuvée Rare - Super nice, needed about 1 hr to get going, but nicely mature, medium/heavy body, complex, yeasty, etc. Pretty much everything I want in a champagne

The Banyuls was a 2008 Domaine de la Casa Blanca Banyuls.

The 2011 EMH was the Black Cat Special Selection.

Also we had a really interesting Hungarian wine.
2006 Tiffan Villány Grande Sélection - A revelation, probably my #3 wine of the night. Cab, Merlot, Cab Franc blend. Def a bit high on Cab franc. Solidly mature, complex, some nice green notes. Very nice.

For me, the favs were:

1. 1995 Vieux Chateau Certain
  2. 2002 Piper Heidsieck Cuvee Rare
  3. 2006 Tiffan Villány Grande Sélection, and
  4. 2004 Leoville Barton

I’ll post some pictures in a bit.

Sorry to miss this. Didn’t keep track of the dates. Next time!

Thanks for including my EMH Black Cats! The 2007 improves with extended hours of decanting. The ABV on this one does show in the nose. Still, one of my own that I always look forward to tasting/drinking to see how it is coming along. It is not going to fall off any cliff soon!

As a note, the only year I produced a Sparkles Selection was 2014. You may have had a Special Selection of the 2011 vintage. The 2011 is probably the most different from the 2007 of all my vintages. It is just a vintage difference - all fruit from the same less-than-an-acre vineyard. Each of those vintages received 20-30% new French oak - the rest were once used or more-than-once used. All French oak, all from Marchive or Nadalie coopers.

I apologize for the mistake, I thought the special selection was always named sparkles. I greatly enjoyed both EMH wines. I actually thought both the 2011, and even the 2007 needed more time for my old-wine loving self. I thought even the 1992 Mayacamas was young.

The 2014 Sparkles Selection and 2015 Lady Sapphire are the “even more special than the Special Selection” selections, as there are also Special Selections in those years. :slight_smile:

Got me laughing! I just went to the mailbox and saw my bill from the bottle-etcher. Yikes! That means they printed - this is for the 2015s that I will bottle next month. Just spoke with the art person at the bottle printer and asked him to send me a photo of the Lady Sapphire. If he sends me one, we’ll get a photo of it up here.

Tomorrow I am tasting all 3 of the 2015s (again) to ensure that we indeed have 3 unique wines. Then from the barrel to the bottle in about 2 weeks.

If you need a second opinion, my palate is available. I’ll even cover shipping. :wink:

If anyone is around tomorrow afternoon, I would welcome the extra opinions! Email me.