TN: Malvira Roero Arneis VignaTrinta '13...(short/boring)

Tried this last night:

1. Malvira VignaTrinita Dd’OCG: Roera Arneis (12.5%; www. Malvira.com; http://www.InfigenousSelection.com) Canale 2013: Med.light yellow color; quite fragrant orangey/dried mango/classic Arneis light stony/mineral almost R-like/floral perfumed nose; bit soft slight spritz (CO2 refreshed?) bit lightweight/delicate light orange/dried mango/Arneis slightly tangy/metallic very light stony/mineral borderline vapid flavor; med.short some soft slight spritz light/delicate/vapid orange/citric/dried mango/Arneis very light stony/mineral finish; a rather attractive Arneis fragrant nose but pretty lightweight/vapid on the palate; not a recommended example of Arneis. $23.00 (SFW&S)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. CO2 refreshed: It’s seems to be spreading. The addition of CO2 just afore bottling to “freshen up” a white wine. To me, it gives an ersatz acidity on the front of the palate that vanishes immediately. Most often used on wines w/ a low acidity. Surprised that FredFranzia hasn’t embraced this technique for 2$Chuck. It just doesn’t give that brisk/vibrant/tangy/electric acidity that you get in a white that has a proper acidity. I ain’t buying it…I want my acidity.

1. Arneis: This is a grape variety that I really like from the Piemonte. At its best it has a strong perfumey fragrance w/ an underlying stony/mineral character that can be subtle or very strong. This Malvira smelled quite attractive, but failed to deliver the goods on the palate. Doesn’t hold a candle to Sam’s Idlewild Arneis…a world-class expression of Arneis.
    The Trinita Vnyd (named for the church that crowns the hill) is above the Malvira wnry. They grow Arneis/Favorita/Barbera/Nebbiolo/Chard here. I generally like the Malvira wines, particularly their Nebbs. This Arneis didn’t do it for me.
    Tom

A rather similar experience to the single bottle of an earlier vintage of the Mavira I tried a few years ago, that rather stalled my interest in the grape. A more interesting Ugo Lequio Langhe Arneis 2015 recently reminded me that the grape is worth re-trying.