Perfect wines

We hosted three couples to dinner last night and the wines showed as well as one could ever hope for.

• 1995 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon - France, Champagne (20/05/2017)
    Opened 3 hours before serving but needed more time in this (magnum) format. Some creamy coffee and curry powder on the nose but the palate was dry and tight. Saved half a glass until the end of the meal and it was more relaxed on the palate by then. I’ll leave the rest of my mags at least another five years.
  • 2009 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Folatières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (20/05/2017)
    Hello old friend! The best white burgundy I’ve had in several years. Amongst all the POX debacle, I’d almost forgotten what a great puligny wth a bit of age tastes like. Explosive nose of spicy fruits with a hint of matchstick. Powerful, rich palate with great definition. This immediately reminded me of the 2000 d’auvenay folatieres that I last had four or five years ago. Not quite as much of a bruiser as that wine and the better for it. All 3 bottles were quite brilliant.
  • 1995 Domaine Amiot-Servelle Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Amoureuses - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru (20/05/2017)
    Opened 5 hours before serving. Both bottles were absolutely fantastic. Perfect balance and definition on the palate. Darker fruits initially which quickly softened on the mid palate and finish to become much more classical chambolle red fruits. The best 95 red burg I’ve had.
  • 1995 Alois Kracher Chardonnay/Welschriesling TBA #7 Nouvelle Vague - Austria, Burgenland, Neusiedlersee (20/05/2017)
    Heavenly. Wonderfully balanced and focused with precise, sweet tropical fruits. Addictive.

Posted from CellarTracker

Interesting. My first time seeing a curry powder note on champagne!

It’s something I notice mostly with older Krug. First time I’ve noticed it wth DP.

Back from the continent, I see this. Did not know PYCM made les folatieres…but his wines are usually very satisfying.

French tasters use this note quite frequently, at least in my experience - especially when describing vin jaune, old champagne, etc.

When you say you opened the Amiot Servelle 5 hours before serving do you mean you pulled the cork or that you decanted?

I’m always looking for signs of hope that 1995s are coming around :slight_smile:

Pulled the cork. I never decant red burgundy.

Wow, nice notes.

I still have a bottle of the 93 Amiot Servelle Amoreuses. I think Louis Dressner was doing the importing to the East Coast at the time.

I hope it shows as well as your bottle of the 95 showed