TN: 2011 Domaine des Chezeaux Clos St. Denis Vieilles Vignes

• 2011 Domaine des Chezeaux Clos St. Denis Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos St. Denis Grand Cru (20/05/2017)
    Not at all what I was expecting. This is a bruiser of a Burgundy and remarkably fine for a less than lauded vintage. Black and blue fruited for the first couple of hours, this only begins to show red fruits after considerable air. A spherical and voluptuous palate. Very ripe but also showing the first signs of lovely complexity and minerailty. Served blind, I would never have guessed 2011. This will keep and improve for decades.

Posted from CellarTracker

I forgot to note this is bottled using Ponsot’s suppository-like Ardea Seal

Doesn’t surprise me a bit. 2011 red Burgundies are just fine. Don’t know the producer here, however.

The producer is Ponsot - sharecropper with Chezeaux …
I still don´t know what to think about their plastic corks … and ageability …

Domaine Des Chezeaux owns the vines with Ponsot responsible for the vineyard and winemaking. Half the production labelled as Ponsot and half as DDC.

The DDC version used to be a (relative) bargain but sadly no longer.

Vines planted in 1905 with production in the range of 150-300 bottles for each label.

as noted, this métayage used to be a great way to get Ponsot CSD cheap. With plastic corks, I am done w Ponsot; regardless, the cheap days are over.

Somewhat similar with Chezeaux Griotte–but a bit tricky–both Ponsot and Leclerc make it. Have to look at label fine print to know, as the two wines are quite different.

'11s are categorically flawed.
Ladybugs.
Everywhere.
Don’t taste them.
they will kill you.
All of them.