Zachys to open new shop in DC

Announced by Jeff Zachariah during today’s auction, which I was following on the net. No details apart from the people who will be running it, neither of whom I knew.

I suspect there are a couple of reasons for choosing DC. Apart from being a good market in itself, the liquor laws allow retailers to import directly, thus cutting out part of the three tier system.

Pretty much wasted the day, as bargains were almost non existent, and some lots went very high indeed. A single magnum of 1961 Haut Brion direct from the Chateau not surprising given the provenance, went way for around four times high estimate $31,850. 6 bottles of Raveneau Clos 2002 went for $6738 etc.

That’d be enticing

Tim O’Rourke I believe is involved and an all around good guy

You’re right, Suzanne - I believe he’s leading the effort here in DC. Couldn’t find a better guy for the job.

Competition is fierce in DC…we have MacArthurs (one of the best in the country IMO), Calvert Woodley, and Schneiders. Of course the competition is fierce in the NYC area but DC is a lot smaller.

I think the point is that once the shop in DC does the importing, the wines can be shipped anywhere. And they can also ship a lot more places given that anyone can ship to DC. They don’t have to kill on a retail basis here to make the operation worthwhile. Very smart.

I had a look at the prices in their burg sale, and they were absolutely laughable. On maybe 8-10 wines I checked, every time their “discounted” price was at least 20% more than the low WS price at a shop I would use (i.e., not necessarily the lowest WS price).

This, I expect, may be the problem. I like Tim and wish him well. But I doubt, at their prices, they will ever be competitive, either in DC or online. On the other hand, they stay in business in NY, so what do I know.

On the other hand, if they can import directly, maybe they can lower their prices without reducing their margins. (look how half-full my glass is!)

Rooting for Tim.

Always rooting for Tim. Started buying stuff from Total Wine because of him.

And as far as taking about the D.C. Competition, don’t forget the wonderful Weygandt Wines, where Tim used to be.

And Total Wine, where Tim went subsequently, still has the best Bdx futures program, with 50% deposit and among lowest prices in the country…

yes, Weygandt Wines is amazing, should not have forgotten them.

Any idea where the store will be?

It’s not going to be a bricks and mortar retail shop. It will be a warehouse setting on V Street, NE. They’ll host tastings (with valet parking) but it seems like it is more designed to be a distribution center. Still getting licenses approved but they’re looking at an early June opening.

Just means I have to pay more sales tax. The more expensive bottles you buy the more likely tax eclipses shipping.

Confirming the scenario I outlined above. This is all about direct importing and shipping

I’m not sure, but I believe they do some direct importing in NY, as Chambers does. I don’t know what legal tricks are entailed – presumably someone else’s import license – so perhaps there is a small saving in bypassing that.

A bit out there, but where else in DC can you get that much space? I went to their Tuscan tasting this weekend, and it was excellent. Really stoked to see what Tim O’Rourke pulls off with this place. Not a better dude for the job. I look forward to awesome tastings and purchases in the future.

Interesting. I get emails from Tim about the store and a couple of sales, but have not gotten any emails about any tastings or even an address.

Missed tastings this week. Looking forward to checking the place out though.

Seeing as Tim brought a bottle of high-octane CdP purp to one of my farewell dinners three years ago, I’m rooting against him.