Napa and Sonoma while pregnant

My husband and I are planning a trip to Napa and Sonoma next week. Normally, we make all the necessary appointments, but since I’m 27 weeks pregnant right now, we’re just planning to drop by a few places that just take walk-ins without making advance reservations. I might have a few sips if there’s anything outstanding, but other than that, I’ll primarily be just smelling wine, reading the labels, and relaxing.

We are staying in St. Helena and Healdsburg. We usually enjoy reds - structured cabs and smooth pinot noirs. Also a good cab franc. In past trips, we’ve visited Neal, Myriad, Bremer, Mumm, Heitz, Domaine Carneros, Vincent Arroyo, Pride, Arrowood, Joseph Phelps, Enkidu, Inglenook, Keenan.

We’re thinking of maybe a couple of places in Napa, and exploring more of the Russian River Valley and Dry Creek Valley. Thanks!

Sonoma side: Merry Edwards, Lynmar, Roadhouse (!), Robert Taylor.

Napa side: Alpha Omega, Miner, Ma(i)sonry. Tor (Tor Kenward) makes a great cab franc, but I don’t know if you can visit them.

Ridge

Ehlers Estate in St. Helena

I bet you’d like B Cellars, but I think you might need to set up a reservation.

Always happy to help out a fellow Burbankian!!! When we are visiting the Sonoma side, Sbragia and Mauritsan are favorite stops of ours.

Glad to see you’ve been to Vincent Arroyo, another favorite for quite a number of years. On the Napa side, see if you can get into see Merrill at EMH.

2nd B cellars. Oakville trek gives you a tour, barrel sample, and small food pairing with wines (seated tasting). The wines have received great press last couple vintages.

Hey, you might try Hess the wines are good and a great value and since you can’t really taste you could check out the wonderful art gallery. Just a thought.

Of the tasting rooms in downtown Healdsburg, which ones would you recommend? Seems like those are good options because they don’t require appointments.

The new Siduri tasting room is quite nice; it also has food so you could eat at the same time. I also rather like the Banshee tasting room.

Probably not too popular here but Benzinger has some really nice wines along with a fun and interesting tram tour of the winery.

Cheers,
Curt

Totally your call, but I sure wouldn’t look at you twice for tasting in moderation or spitting. Best of luck with your cub.

Check out Heitz if you don’t want to do reservations, they just do walk ins

We had a great trip last month in Sonoma. I posted it here if you’re interested:
https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=419977

Highlights in Sonoma Square:
– Banshee for cool climate pinot in a relaxing setting
– Noble Folk ice cream
– Chalkboard and Valette for dinner
– SHED for espresso/breakfast

Oh and if you guys are interested, there was a recent post on here about Idlewild. Will have to check it out next time around.

Have fun and congrats on the baby! champagne.gif

Near St Helena, Schramsberg. The old caves are the most interesting in California. Call for a reservation. Share for a tour and tasting.

While it’s your call, I don’t understand why you can’t do a regular circuit of tasting rooms/winery appointments. As you know, every single one will have a spit bucket. The amount of alcohol incidentally ingested from tasting and spitting wine is not nil, but it is quite small, certainly within the margins of safety for the third trimester. (I’m not a doctor, but I am the father of an 11 month old and a 4 year old and did a lot of reading on the topic on my wife’s behalf.) The only real hazard might be a few strange or nasty looks from other customers, but if they see you using the spit bucket religiously they will hopefully keep their mouths shut.

As for recommendations, it’s been a while since I’ve been there, but Dry Creek should indeed be lovely and A Rafanelli is fine, somewhat lesser-known producer. They are best known for their zin, but I had a '99 Merlot the other month that I bought at the winery over 15 years ago, and it was rocking. You’d need an appointment though … on the plus side the Rafanelli family seems to have a new member of their own, judging by their website

Yep, do what you normally do but spit religiously. My friends and I always spit on tasting rounds. A lot of people have a hard time asking for a personal spit cup (which is much easier to manage than leaning over to the communal bucket) but frankly wineries love it as you show you are not there to get drunk, but really care about tasting the wine and learning. And that’s for non-pregnant people. Go where you want to go and ask for your own spit cup.

In RRV I always stop at Joseph Swan and Woodenhead is just down the road. I Healdsburg Davis Family has some really nice wines that fly under the radar and Holdredge is just across the street. I have also had good experiences at Longboard and Selby.

Copain is well worth the visit in my opinion.

Yes Copain is nice but needs an appointment IIRC.