2016 German impressions?

Greetings to the Riesling Freakiverse,
As the wheel turns, I am in the process of dialing up my German Insanity offering for the 2016 wines from Lieser/Schäfer Fröhlich/Zilliken/Reinhold Haart/Fürst/Wagner Stempel/von Buhl.
If any of our euro friends out there have tasted from these estates, please feel free to share any impressions; I would greatly appreciate it.
From my limited exposure to cask samples last Fall (hardly a good time to draw conclusions), some shockingly superlative comments from Tim Schäfer Fröhlich, and what I read from Terry Theise’s vintage report, there is much to be excited about, in a notably different style than the excellence of 2015, but excellent in its own regard.
Did anybody go to the Mainzer Weinbörse?
Keep on keepin’ on, y’all!!!
ZUM WOHL.
[cheers.gif]

Found this from Mosel Fine Wines, that they released on April 28th, a few weeks ago:
“Vintage 2016 | A Charmer
As we already hinted at in our Sneak Preview at the 2016 Vintage article published in Mosel Fine Wines Issue No 33, the 2016 vintage looks set to deliver lots of gorgeous wines … despite the doubts raised after the horrific spring and early summer growing conditions (we explained this seeming contradiction “Difficult growing conditions yet gorgeous vintage” in the article).
The 2016 wines are characterized by nice and ripe aromatics, moderate richness (thanks to moderate sugar levels at picking) and ripe to juicy acidities. The wines show remarkably well at this early stage, adding to the overall charm of the vintage. The vintage seems quite an all-rounder, delivering well in all stylistic directions (dry, off-dry, fruity and sweet).
Of course, any such comment needs to be taken with the usual grain of salt when confronted with glorified generalization.”

I think Terry Theise was saying less acid than the '15s

It will be a vintage that separates the wheat from the chaff.

I tasted around 400 different german wines from 2016 so far. It is a mixed bag. A vintage where it is very difficult to generalize. Also very difficult to say one region is better than the next.

But generally speaking the wines are softer than 2015 with a medium concentration. The wines are very open and will drink well at an early stage. The fruit is nice and rarely shows any faults. Then there are lots of exceptions. Some have high to even very high acidity. Some lack a bit of concentration, some wines show more power. The differences is more due to the choices made by the winemaker than the specific region, area etc. Riesling is to me the most successfull grape. Silvaner and Weissburgunder a bit less successfull.

The top dry wines are mostly yet to be tasted.

I didn’t attend the VDP.Weinbörse. But what I have tasted from a few producers, like Willi Schaefer, has been delicious. I agree that the wines are charming. And while 2016 might not be a high-acid vintage across the board, there are some excellent wines with high (ripe) acidity.

THANK YOU, GENTS!
;0

Great info so much appreciated.

By not high acid, do you mean average acidity or actually low?

Unlike Arnt, I haven’t tasted many 2016s, especially from other regions, but I don’t believe that the acidity is low.

Acid is not low. Average is more accurate. With exceptions, also in other regions than Mosel. For example Mosbachers Forster Musenhang Riesling Trocken has 8,8 g/l acid.

In Rheinhessen 2016 provided significantly more sun in September, less rain from August to October and much warmer weather compared to the 3 preceding years.

I tasted today with Tim Schäfer Fröhlich in Bockenau.
The '16s are verrrryy good.
Nearly identical analytics as '15, but in an even more filigree, finessed style.
Highlights for me: kab and GK spat were both bonkers fantastic, easily on par if not better than '15, and GG highlights (no surprise here): Felseneck, Stromberg, and Halenberg.
Offer going out tomorrow so that we can get Mags of Kab/GK Spat etc, which are to be bottled next week…

Have tasted the Von der Fels and it was awesome after plenty of air. Almist as good as 2015?
Anyway a bargain

Got an offer for Willi Schaefer 16s, the vintage report from the producer does mention “the acidity levels were a bit more moderate than in the previous year” and the rest of the report seems reasonably upbeat.

Will buy from favourite producers (including Willi Schaefer) but try to taste others before buying in quantity, hopefully there won’t be the same scramble that there was for the 15s!

There will be a worse scramble among lifelong German wine lovers for the '16s, as yields are 20-50% less than in '15…newbies will be hyped out on the '15s, suffering from the “greatest vintage of your lifetime” hangover (no matter how good the vintage is after a “great” one, people either won’t believe it, or will have appeased their curiosity).
Acidity for Kabi and Spät in the Mosel has routinely been in the 7.8-10 g/L, which ain’t no low acid kind of digits…I am sort of flipping my top a bit that the vintage is so good in dry/feinherb/kabi/spat. doesn’t seem to be much aus…some wowie zowie eiswein from Richter that will probably get 100 points from somebody…
My buzzword for what i’ve sensed so far having tasted '16s with Schäfer Frohlich, Hanno Zilliken, Constantin Richter, Stefan Steinmetz, Clemens Busch, Sofia Thanisch, Thomas Haag (Schloss Lieser), Emrich Schönleber: filigree finesse.
I’m telling you now: there are some absolutely stunningly good wines at these addresses, at least…
I am sending out a mega offer on Monday for Lieser/Zilliken and others…

Respect to Mosel Fine Wines.
Their late April report seems to be spot on based on my impressions so far.
I am trying to reshuffle my cards to get in a visit with JJ Prüm, changing my flight home as I have been so impressed with the vintage that I feel I would be remiss to let it slip on by…
Still left on my agenda on Monday/Tuesday: Rings, Bürklin Wolf, Von Buhl, and Fürst…
LONG LIVE THE GLORY OF RIESLING

I am not a suckling fan, but Pigott knows a thing or two about Riesling…

https://www.jamessuckling.com/wine-tasting-reports/germanys-miraculous-mosel-duo-2015-2016/

I’m tellin’ 'ya, don’t snooze on '16…
I was so impressed by the many Mosel '16s that I did taste that I rebooked my return flight (ouch on change fees) so that I can be sure to taste the full Joh Jos Prüm lineup next week.

Posted some thoughts in another thread. I just do not see it as a “can’t miss” vintage, though there are many good wines. I will be buying, but not nearly as deep as 2015, and nowhere close to 2012.

Intersting, I’ve recently gone through a few 2015 Willi Kabs, and at least for my palate, would have preferred more acid. It’s a pretty ripe vintage for Willi.