Lamy tell you about Olivier's '16's and '15's

Have landed in Paris after warming up in Amsterdam for four days. Colin thought the best place to warm up for Paris is in Paris and has had a week’s head start on us.

We generally choose one place for a blow-out meal in Paris and Le Grand Vefour was it this year. Colin felt right at home as we entered the restaurant with all its Belle ’Epoqueness’ and there was enough Ramonet on the list to keep him happy. Rather than forsake a bottle of Ramonet by taking an aperitif we dove straight into a 2013 Domaine Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru ‘Morgeot’ Blanc. It was immediately generous with orchard fruit aromas and flavours, some spearmint and plenty of underlying minerality. It had Morgeot size coupled with Ramonet elegance and is a wine of good detail and finesse. It was good with an amuse of tuna with squid ink and avocado and even better with ravioli of foie with black truffle.

When presented with the luncheon menu the page is open to the a la carte section. Turn back a page and one of Paris’ absolute bargains presents itself. The lunch menu here allows a selection of an entrée, main course and dessert. You also get a couple of amuse, a cheese course and enough pre, post and parallel desserts to satisfy Augustus Gloop.

Our menu proper started with a lobster soup for the girls, that Colin suggested may have had at least 36 lobsters in the reduction. It was so intense. There was some ginger, coconut and coriander giving complexity and it was triumphant with the Chassagne. The boys all went for Foie gras de canard en terrine. It was super rich and gamey. Finely diced apple was soused in something exotic and spicy and there were a few dots of a parsley emulsion on the plate that were perhaps more decorative than integral to the dish.

The sommelier here is a good guy and intuitive. I started making noises that perhaps we’ll get a bit of a Ramonet vertical going and have a look at the ’12 Morgeot. He said ‘I have a 2010 ‘Ruchottes’ that’s not on the list, would you like that at the same price’. Not wanting to offend I quickly accepted his offer. The 2010 Domaine Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru ‘Les Ruchottes’ is a rich, textural, pulpy wine of great intensity and presence. It has great power and shape and is crammed with orchard fruits. There’s a suggestion of apricot and plenty of mineral just below the flesh. It has Grand Cru size and complexity and was splendid with Turbot à la meunière. The fish could have been taken off the grill 20 seconds earlier but was still very tasty and came with an interesting mélange of red cabbage things including a foam and polenta made from said cabbage. Lily, Patrick and Heidi absolutely hammered their duck. A perfectly cooked duck breast came with an accompaniment of mushrooms and Jerusalem artichoke. There were plenty of orange and carrot flavoured things on the plate that worked well with the duck. We all got a little bowl of the creamiest mashed potato with veal jus and black truffle. One of life’s great things.

Heidi and I still had a bit of white left in our glass as the cheese arrived. Colin didn’t. I was on one of my long rants about how white wine really is the only option with cheese and red wine isn’t. Colin interjected and let us know that he’d just have to plough on with his glass of red. The 2012 Domaine Mugneret-Gibourg Vosne-Romanée is really a lovely drink. Plush, velvety fruit, floral spice and decent depth and volume for its level. The cheeses here are perfect. 48-month-old Comté is something to behold. Epoisse is at its gooiest best and Patrick’s ewe’s milk cheese from Corsica was indeed the best Corsican cheese made from ewe’s milk that we have encountered.

Just as desserts were about to come out Patrick got his hairy banana out and started to wave it around, much to the delight of the waiting staff. Desserts are splendid here. Apple is roasted in cider. It comes with a delicious Granny Smith apple and lime sorbet. The chocolate dessert is kind of like a Wagon Wheel that has been given the posh patisserie treatment. The exterior of chocolate has more shine than a first over Kookaburra and tempered chocolate to the side is piped with the most wonderful mousse.

After a coffee we took the hairy banana around the restaurant and let him sit at the seat where General Bonaparte used to dine. I think the staff were quite relieved when we eventually departed.
IMG_0524retry.jpg

I thought General Bonaparte was a small balding banana ?

Here we go again!!

Looking forward to it Jeremy! flirtysmile

Yes , here we go again . Jeremy , next time come to Antwerp , much better than Amsterdam !

Herwig, love Antwerp. It has an edginess and super restaurants and of course brilliant bars and beers.

Be looking forward to the updates…sounds like you guys are off to a great start!

Still bummed everyday when I think about what we had planned, and that we had to cancel, but hey, there’s always next year!

Consoling myself by opening a few great bottles over the Easter weekend…

Count us in.

Is it just me or am I the only one that really wants to go out drinking with Colin. :smiley:

Can’t wait for more Jeremy.

This brings back great memories of our lunch in Paris a couple years ago. Have fun!

Thanks guys, have hit the ground running.

Herwig, our train went through Antwerp but the driver wouldn’t stop. Next year I’m coming to see you.

Fu, you would like Colin.

Jerry, we are heading to Cagouille on the weekend.

Have had a few outstanding Rhone wines over the past week.

2012 Thierry Allemand Cornas Reynard: Quite simply the most pure and perfumed expression of Syrah one could hope for. It has delicious black cherry and plum fruit. There are some notes of menthol, grilled meats and black pepper. The palate is silky yet there’s terrific drive and presence. The wine did shut down in the decanter a little but provided much drinking pleasure.

2011 Thierry Allemand Cornas Reynard: It is not as pure as the ’12 and has a bit more wildness and funk. There are aromas of compost, game and blue fruits. It has a light herbal quality and the fruit intensifies at its heart with air. There are notes of liqueur cherry and menthol and length is good.

2015 Pierre Gonon St. Joseph: Smells like a footy change room at half time, all Dencorub, meat and sweat. With air there’s ripe blood plum fruit. It has plenty of floral nuance and a saline mineral quality. There are punchy florals and the wine is full and relatively low acid but lacks no freshness.

2015 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Cuvée A Pascal S.: An absolute beauty. It’s kind of like Cru Bojo with a bit more heft. There are black cherry and raspberry fruits. It has a suggestion of violets on the nose. It smells sweet but has plenty of savoury flavour and is a wine that is just so juicy and fleshy that you have to drink it fast.

Had the 12 allemand Reynard last night. Like you said, a really pure and driven expression of syrah

Ahhh, Cagouille! Razor clams in butter with a bottle of Raveneau!

The next best thing to being in Paris is Jeremy writing from Paris.

Exactement!

I like that Banana dude!

Over-under how many bottles of Coche-Dury? I’d say 7. [cheers.gif]

Jeremy - have you tried going to tan dinh yet? One of the best wine lists in paris. Though most of the good stuff is not on the list, but offered to those deemed worthy.

+1

The 2015 Gonon St. Joseph was insanely good when tasted at the domaine in Jan. I was a lot more enthusiastic about the wine than it seems you were. Going very deep here.

Do you have any sense of the aging curve on the 2012 Allemand Reynards? I bought a good amount because it is my daughters birth year. I’m curious if you think it will make old bones. If not, we might need to drink it before she is legal.

Coche and Langostines at Cagouille works well too!

Paris allowed you back already? Security must be lax. Glad it was not your hairy banana. Enjoy. Leave wine for the rest of us.