Mayacamas and Charles Banks

Interesting article detailing some of the ‘inner struggles’ between Banks and his partners in Mayacamas. Apparently, Banks has wanted to sell all or his portion of the vineyard but has been rebuked by the other partners, the Schottenstein family, owners of American Eagle Outfitters and DWS.

What I found interesting was Mayacamas lost +$900K. If Banks loses either the San Antonio case or the Washington DC case Tim Duncan’s civil case will be a slam dunk. Pun Intended. Duncan has to hope Banks has some money left after paying his legal fees.

Wine Spectator is reporting that Charles Banks will plead guilty to fraud. No real world about what this will mean for Mayacamas.

http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/Wine-Executive-Charles-Banks-Expected-to-Plead-Guilty

He has pled guilty.

Duncan has come out and said at this point he doesn’t think he will get anything back but just wants justice. That’s how the Feds even got into the case.

So based on the logic in that other thread, I’m assuming now that we can’t enjoy these associated wines due to the now actually convicted fraudulent activity of Mr. Banks? [snort.gif]

Interesting to read that he has stepped down from day to day dealings with Terroir and all of their brands. It makes sense as a convicted felon cannot have anything to do with any company dealing with alcohol - just interesting.

I guess we’ll see how this plays out - I hope for the best for all involved, including the various Terroir brands including Qupe . . .

Cheers.

I don’t think we have to stop enjoying the wines. Won’t Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan would end up making the blends at Qupe and Wind Gap. I hear Popovich loves wine so maybe he would come along for the ride.

More background here:

Amazing how the “business” end of wine seems to attract so much drama…