TN: A small group dinner - 96 Krug, 13 Lafon Clos de la Barre, 70 Petrus and 04 Masseto,

A SMALL GROUP DINNER - 96 KRUG, 13 LAFON CLOS DE LA BARRE, 70 PETRUS AND 04 MASSETO, - Ruth’s Chris, Tysons Corner, VA (3/28/2017)

Three of us got together to drink a few nice bottles and to discuss business and life.
Starter

• 1996 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut - France, Champagne
    Fully mature oxidative nose, sour apple candy, tarte tatin, sour orange, brioche, coriander and honey. Very good concentration, generous fine mousse, sour apple and burnt sugar driven palate impression, mouth puckering acidity and a long apple and brioche driven finish. This seems slightly angular with strong acidity Not the best showing but still quite nice. (94 pts.)
  • 2013 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Meursault Clos de la Barre - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault
    Very precise and slightly coiled which is quite surprising as I was expecting a generous fruit expression. Very precise nose displaying lemon, lemon curd, saline, honey and limestone. Very good concentration, a bit coiled lemon driven palate impression, bright acidity, strong presence of mineral and a long precise finish with strong presence of acidity at the end. It is almost like a Chablis Les Clos but not as complex. Based on the earlier notes, perhaps the fruit has subsided. (92 pts.)

Red

• 1970 Pétrus - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
    Fully mature nose displaying decadent red and black fruit, blackberry jam, plum, cedar, licorice, milk chocolate, coffee, truffle and earth. Exceptional concentration, perfectly integrated harmonious palate, beautifully layered silky fruit, soft and round, silky and polished, and a seamless long finish that resonates. There is a very slight hint of oxidation that prevents the wine from close to being perfect. (96 pts.)
  • 2004 Tenuta dell’Ornellaia Masseto Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT
    The fruit expression has become decidedly riper. Intense nose displaying dry cherry, cassis, blackberry jam, licorice, bitter chocolate, coffee, dark spices and earth. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of ripe black fruit, incredibly silky and polished, good acidity, perfectly integrated tannins and a long dark fruit and licorice driven finish. Due to the ripe fruit, I prefer the palate, 98 pts, to the nose 93 pts. The ripe expression is not unlike a cult cab at the same stage of development. Quite enjoyable but no longer flirts with perfection for my palate. (95 pts.)

Another fun dinner, the wines were great but the friendship was what made truly special.
Posted from CellarTracker

Kevin - my wife gave me a '70’Petrus in 1999 as a Valemtine’s day present. Purchased from Knightsbridge in Chicago.

Still in my top 5 wine bottles of all time. Thanks for the notes.

Nice Kevin. I always find Masseto really hard to read young. I had a 98 recently and, at nearly 20 years old, it felt young. Lots of promise but still tight if you can believe it. These things are brick shit houses meant to outlive all of us.