TN: 2014 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast)

2014 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (3/28/2017)
I generally prefer wines with several years of age, but one where I love the youthful expression is the Kutch Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. Boisterous red cherry fruit is balanced by bright acidity, some light dusting of tannin, and hovering aromas of violets and fresh spices. When I first opened the wine it seemed a touch disjointed, but after an hour of air it blossomed and integrated. It then maintained grace and poise through night two when I finished the bottle. This marks 4 straight vintages of outstanding Sonoma Coast Pinot in my experience with Kutch, and makes me look forward to each new release.

Posted from CellarTracker

I have had 3 2014 Pinots from Kutch lately and my imprecation of the Sonoma Coast was being a little unfocused and adrift but definitely bright and as you say “boisterous”. I didn’t get the chance to linger over it so I am glad to know it comes together. I also had two single vineyard wines, the Falstaff and the MacDougall Ranch, both also Sonoma Coast (like most of Sonoma it seems). The Falstaff was drop dead fantastic, great balance of energy, fruit, acid, seashore and tannin. Great wine to lay down a few bottles of and get to know over a decade or more. The MacDougall Ranch not so much, I found it a little to ripe and missing the energy of the other 2 wines.