TN: 2008 Domaine Pascal Cotat (Pascal & Francis) Sancerre La Grande Côte

• 2008 Domaine Pascal Cotat (Pascal & Francis) Sancerre La Grande Côte - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre (3/28/2017)
    Shimmering gold, green hue color…somewhat intriguing nose at first of canned green beans, limestone chalk, dried honey, smoked herbs, peach/pear marmalade. The canned veggie thing is not repulsive like it can be, but does blow off, yet there is still a mineral funk to it…which I like! Definitely richer and riper in fruit than the 14’s that I’ve been drinking…pittted orchard fruits, with zesty citrus and TONS of minerality! Salty, funky, chalky minerals…reminds me of Vatan! Great interplay with the riper fruit and the fresh lemony acid…slight tropical in the fruits as well…but MAN-o-MAN the geology is where it’s at!! Love this! (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Buzz - love your notes and pics of that beautiful cellar. Please keep them coming!

sounds delicious - how would you compare this in profile to les Monts Damnes? I opened one of my 2010s last week but it was badly corked… will probably try again this weekend.

Don’t know if anyone caught it, but I had originally posted the note as Francois Cotat, and changed it when I noticed the cork said Pascal! Looks like I was sold this wine as Francois, but ended up getting the Pascal bottle? Pretty much same wine right? Can someone give me the cliff notes version of Francois vs Pascal?

:wink:

Popped one. I can see why you like this as it has so much going on. I found I needed to adjust my expectations though as I was looking for more zest and higher acid in Sancerre and found this much more finished and aged (as it should be). Nothing wrong there, just my anticipation. One element I did not prefer that will stop me from rebuying was the dried honey aspect and possibly wood. When I drink Sancerre I want little finishing so I can get right to the grape. This has years left in it. Maybe I should have decanted for an hour or two. Stunning color showing its age.

Hi Brian,

Both Cotat bottlngs are excellent, but they are not the same wine. Pascal and Francois split up their fathers’ parcels in 1999, and Pascal vinifies his wines slightly differently than Francois (who had been handling the primary winemaking for the wines for his father and uncle, Paul and Francis respectively, for many years prior to the split of the family vineyards). Pascal vinifies his wines in stainless steel, as opposed to old demi-muids and foudres that Francois uses, but the rest of the cellar regimen is similar between the two cousins. Both practice low yields, harvest later than most of their neighbors and bottle without filtration- so the primary difference is the fermentation vessels used by each cousin.

All the Best,

John

1 Like

I’ve had a few bottles of both the '06 through '08 Pascal La Grand Cote recently. Stunning when they’re on, although a handful of bottles were oxidized.

Wouldn’t be surprised if this freshened with a decant. But I always find a honeyed aspect to Grand Cote. While the Mont Damnes i find is more linear, high toned, and zesty. 2008 is a great vintage for both.

You are a rascally rabbit, Buzz—who keeps their Cotat that long? Certainly not me, can’t keep my hands off the stuff! 2008 was a terrific vintage for both those cuvees. Envious!

John–much thanks for highlighting the difference in winemaking approach between the two.

Mike

very unfortunate. i had the 2010 francois cotat les monts damnes last week, and it showed beautiful intensity, delineation and cut. a bit painful in intensity… which frankly i love… great wine.

Here’s my recent note on the '08 François Cotat Les Monts Damnès; I loved it but felt it still too young:

“Great bottle, yet far from peak. Mostly primary, but beautiful fruit/acid/mineral balance. Lots of grapefruit peel, and an appealing bitterness. One of those wines that seems dense and lithe at the same time. I was hoping to drink these while my younger vintages rest, but I’ll wait a few year to revisit these '08’s as well.”

I ordered a six pack of these two years ago from The Rare Wine Co., and I’m very happy I did.

Thanks for the note on Pascal’s LGC.