Wine Freedom Website AND New York Shipping Bill

An FYI for those interested.

The National Association of Wine Retailers has developed — www.Winefreedom.org

The site is designed to give consumers in states where there is retailer shipping legislation easy-to-understand information about the bills and information on what they can do to help support it. They can also sign up for alerts when consumer action is needed or there is a change in the status of the bill.

Currently, there is information on two important bills. One in Texas and one in New York. NAWR put the site together in part because Free The Grapes is not promoting the opening of states for retailer wine shipping.

Regarding New York, a new bill has been introduced that would legalize shipments from out-of-state retailers. The bill A5991 was introduced in the Assembly and there is now a companion bill in the Senate. This is VERY good news. New York is an important state to get legalized.

If you are inclined to help the effort, PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD ON http://WWW.WINEFREEDOM.ORG. IF YOU LIVE IN NEW YORK OR TEXAS PLEASE GO TO WINEFREEDOM.ORG AND SIGN UP FOR ALERTS AND FORWARD THE SITE TO YOUR FRIENDS IN NEW YORK AND TEXAS.

On another note, there has been a bill introduced into Alabama that, as currently written, would allow direct shipments from both out-of-state retailers and wineries. NAWR is evaluating it. Additionally, we expect to get a retailer wine shipping bill introduced into Connecticut very soon.

Tom Wark…

Keep fightin’ the good fight Tom.

Will do, Cameron.

Wanna Help???

Thanks for sharing. Will sign up.

Thank you, Faryan. Please spread the word.

Excellent news! I’ll help spread the word.

Thank you, Jay.

Anyone can sign up for alerts at WineFreedom.org. However, we are particularly focusing on exposing the site to wine lover and collectors in Texas and New York where important legislation is in play.

Tom…

On a related note, this was just introduced by a NY State Senator…

NEW YORK STATE SENATE
INTRODUCER’S MEMORANDUM IN SUPPORT
submitted in accordance with Senate Rule VI. Sec 1

BILL NUMBER: S5437

SPONSOR: MURPHY

TITLE OF BILL:

An act to amend the alcoholic beverage control law, in relation to
establishing a primary American source of supply for liquor and wine
sold in this state

PURPOSE:

This bill would require that all wine and liquor sold in the state be
received from a primary American source of supply.

Yes it was.

Terrible bill, but one that get introduced nearly every session. We aren’t sure yet that the sponsor has any interest in pushing it too hard.

Oy, what a nightmare.

I just received an e-mail from Zachy’s (actually the title on the address is “Jeff Zacharia”). I’m surprised there’s been no mention of this development here.

Dear New York Wine Lover:

The New York State Senate Committee on Commerce and Economic Development has placed the interstate wine shipping bill (S5330) on its agenda for a potential Tuesday vote. The bill that would allow you to receive wine shipments from out-of-state wine stores, wine internet retailers and wine auction houses. In addition, this bill would allow consumers in reciprocal states to receive wine shipments from NYS wine retailers.

NOW IT’S CRITICAL THAT THE COMMITTEE MEMBERS HEAR FROM YOU!

If this bill is going to be passed out of committee the committee members need to hear directly from New York wine lovers.

Please take a second and do the most effective thing in citizen lobbying: Make Calls!! Specifically, call key committee members and very respectfully tell them that you support S5330 and that you are calling to urge them to vote the bill out of the Commerce Committee that they sit on. This needs to be done by Monday afternoon.

Please call/email the following committee members:

Senator Phil Boyle
Chairman, Committee on Economic Development and Small Business.
69 West Main Street, Suite B
Bay Shore, NY 11706
pboyle@nysenate.gov

Senator Terrence Murphy
691 E. Main Street
Shrub Oak, NY 10588
914-962-2624
murphy@nysenate.gov

Senator John Flanagan
Senate Majority Leader
260 Middle Country Road
Suite 102
Smithtown, NY 11787
631-361-2154
Flanagan@nysenate.gov

Senator Rich Funke
230 Packett’s Landing
Fairport, NY 14456
585-223-1806
Funke@nysenate.gov

Senator Patrick Gallivan
2721 Transit Road
Suite 116
Elma, NY 14051
716-656-8544
Gallivan@nysenate.gov

Senator Joseph Griffo
207 Genesse Street
Room 408
Utica, NY 13501
315-793-9072
Griffo@nysenate.gov

Senator Joseph Robach
2300 West Ridge Road
Rochester, NY 14626
585-225-3656
Robach@nysenate.gov

We need you to tell the NYS senate committee members that you can’t always find the wines you want. That it is anti-consumer and anti-free trade to ban you from buying from out of state wine stores. That you are more than willing to pay the sales tax to New York. That while you will still buy most of your wine locally, you just want the chance to purchase those wines you can’t find locally.

The opposition to your right to access the wine you want is very strong. Consumers like you, reaching out directly by phone & email, can balance their power and send a message.

All My Best,
Jeff

Good for them. Seems like a change from their usual stance, looking only to protect themselves, as with the supermarket bill. I have new respect for Zachy’s.

I just got a very similar e-mail from Grapes (Dan Posner). It looks like the NYS retailers who do interstate business recognize the long term threat and are trying to get in front of it.

I’m surprised no one is mentioning 23-B as part of the Primary Source bill 5437…especially Zachy’s…specifically:

23-B. “PRIVATE COLLECTION” AS APPLIED TO WINE OR PRIVATELY HELD WINES
MEANS BOTTLED WINE THAT (A) WAS PURCHASED AT RETAIL OR AUCTION, (B) WAS
OWNED BY A NON-LICENSED PERSON FOR AT LEAST TWO YEARS WITH PROOF OF
PURCHASE, AND (C) IS AT LEAST FIVE YEARS OLD IF IT IS WHITE OR ROSE
WINE, AND AT LEAST TEN YEARS OLD IF IT IS RED WINE, PORT OR SPARKLING
WINE.

The impact of this in the auction and resale market would be huge…likely devastating. Who keeps receipts for wine from 10 years ago?!

Which, and what is their email address?

Warren, I’ve not looked at the bill. What are you suggesting this would do?

Who keeps rose for more than 5 years?! [soap.gif]