3 months in Italia begins tomorrow morning - others?

Anybody else headed over for some of the various fairs/trade shows, etc.?

Sitting at Newark now - glad to leave cold, grey, and rain behind (it was 23F and great sunshine in Milano today), after a week in NYC area, read: cold, grey, rain…for a week, basically; I’m looking forward to the change).

My itinerary March, April, May and June – a return to Italia – ItalianWine.blog, in case someone(s) has some overlap/time for an aperitivo.

ciao

Looks like a great trip lined up, Tim. I’m envious.

I assume, whilst in the Valtelline, you know of Fratelli Ciapponi in Morbegno?? Great place for provisions.
You can even find 15 yr old Bitto cheese there.
Tom

aside from the fact you’d fly on UA neener you look all set for a great trip!

Just back from a brief trip. When asked by the accommodation provider of what brought me to Torino “Devo fare la spesa” [wink.gif] was the response. Only my ‘getting the groceries’ may be a little different to the usual supermarket run!

Brief general observations

• There seem many more places offering wine from the tap, put into refillable containers for modest prices. Definitely a market that has enough customers
  • Europe/EU very much in the minds of Italians, and it seemed at times I couldn’t avoid discussions on Brexit and the Italian perspective on Europe/EU. Politics is not for this forum, but it may be useful to know the subject may come up in discussions.
  • Italian enoteche are still often warmer than I would like, but I suspect even those with aircon weren’t using it, as it’s still considered cold by the locals, even when the sun is out.

A couple of us will just miss you in Piedmont. You’ll be arriving as we’re departing. Enjoy your trip!

In Como as I type. Hopeful to be able to sneak in a day trip to Valtellina wine region in Sondrio before I return home at the end of the week.

Where’s that green-with-envy emoji…?! [beg.gif]

I hope that was 23C!

74F now at 5 pm here in Tirano, just outside of Sondrio.

Alps snow-caps melting and locals are wearing t-shirts.

Btw, awesome steep hillside vineyards everywhere!

Yup…absolutely spectacular vnyds up there. Extreme viticulture. The views from up in the vnyds are incredible.
One mis-step and over you go, landing hundreds of feet below in the village.
Can hardly wait to get back there.
Tom

Wow, two of my wine buddies in northern Italia at the same time. Nice!

We are headed over to Italy for an extended vacation next week (after a couple days in NJ). Hitting several cities and towns by train. We intend on drinking a lot of good wine though we don’t have any specific winery visits planned. A future Piedmont wine vacation is in the planning stage :slight_smile:.

Don’t forget to stamp your tickets in the machine! (excepting pre-booked tickets for specific trains)

I really like Italian trains: punctual & cheap (local trains are cheap, the faster ones require buying in advance to get the giveaway prices).

Thanks Ian, I did know that but never hurts to have a reminder!

I always need reminding!

No formal note (yet), but just want to say that one of the standout wines today was the 2003 Giuseppe Cortese Barbaresco Rabajà that Gabriele brought with him for the tasting. I see the notes/scores, but have to say this was in top form today and likely to be just inside the door to its preferred window. Nothing raisin/oxidized or otherwise off. Really great, exciting even. Another ten or more excellent years yet ahead.

the morning segment of the tasting was here, in Monforte d’Alba. Perfect weather.

It’s snowing in Denver.

@ Patrick, good, moisture needed!

Will anyone else be going here?

ViniVeri 2017 – excited to visit! – ItalianWine.blog Some Euro WBs?

I was excited to go to the first ‘Taste Alto Piemonte’ event last Saturday, this is some rising stock.

Looking just as forward to this event (near Verona) in 2 more days. A progressive group of growers - some with only 1Ha!

2013 Giuseppe Rinaldi Brunate, and 2013 Tre Tine will be there, as well! [cheers.gif]

I always love the pics as well as the notes, Tim.