1999 Michel Noellat - Vosne Romanee - Les Beaux Monts

I opened a 1999 VR - Beaux Monts tonight that I thought was produced by Hudelot-Noellat, but now I see it was made by Michel Noellat.
Burghound’s book shows Michel as the 2nd largest owner of Beaux Monts with 1.39 Ha.

This is a very serious wine with a spicy blackberry/black cherry nose. It has deep rich ‘masculine’ flavors, and a dark berry /black cherry core. What’s most impressive about this wine is the concentration.

Maybe it’s not fair to compare different vintages, but a 2002 Hudelot-Noellat - Beaux Monts that I tasted last week was much thinner in comparison. That being said, the line up of 2010 Hudelots that I tasted 5 years ago, was among the top 2010s that I sampled. Nevertheless, this Michel Noellat was quite impressive.

Does anyone have any experience with this producer ?

From the BBR website ( Explore the Wine range of Domaine Noellat - Berry Bros. & Rudd )

The Noëllat tribe are abundant in this part of the Côte de Nuits. Two brothers, Charles and Ernest, flourished in the early part of the 20th century. Charles had a son, André, who died in 1941, and whose daughter Odile married Alain Hudelot, to form Domaine Hudelot-Noëllat in Vougeot. Domaine Charles Noëllat no longer exists since its purchase by Lalou Bize-Leroy in 1988.

Ernest had two sons, Georges and Henri. Domaine Georges Noëllat has passed down through daughter Marie-Thèrese to her sons Patrice and François Cheurlin. Henri meanwhile married Marie-Thèrese Jayer, daughter of Henri Jayer’s Uncle Edouard. They had a son, Michel – who married a distant cousin, Hélène Noëllat – and their children today run Domaine Michel Noëllat.

Jasper Morris MW, Burgundy Wine Director and author of the award-winning Inside Burgundy comprehensive handbook.

Meadows stopped covering them after the 02 vintage with the passing shot of “I keep thinking that the Noëllat wines will break through the “good but not special” barrier and while some of them are indeed very good, the overall standard here could be better.”

I first encountered them in the 2013 vintage when a uk importer started selling them again. I really liked the boudots that year and the beaux monts and echezeaux in 2014. I dropped them in 2015 as they, along with many others, were guilty of jacking up their prices considerably.

Yes. I tasted at this winery in 2007. To me, the wines are not that impressive young, but age very well. I do not see these wines that much in the US but they are occasionally available.

As for Hudelot-Noellat, the wines are somewhat different in 2010 than they were in 2002. A new generation of the family, Charles Van Canneyt, has taken things over and is a star, IMHO. I think this happened around 2008 or so, but I am not sure about the exact vintage. The wines were very good in 2002, but much better in 2010 and on. Their villages wines are actually right now one of the better values in villages wines from Vosne Romanee and Chambolle Musigny. At a time when villages wines from a lot of top producers are heading towards $100, the Hudelot-Noellat villages wines are around $50 or so, depending on where you buy them.

Also to be kept in mind, IMHO, 2002 is an excellent vintage, but 1999 is much better. It is up there with 2005 and 2010.

I bought some 2012 MSD and Vosne Suchots. When we were in Burgundy last October we bought a 1992 Suchots from Mon Millesime in Beaune and it drank really well. We drank it in the café at Chateau de Chateauneuf-en-Auxois and shared it with the shopkeeper there.

Thanks for the interesting information. I am always interested in how the various Burgundy families fit together.

Michet Noellat or Hudelot-Noellat? [scratch.gif]

Michel.

Thanks

I import Michel Noëllat, Hudelot Noëllat, and Georges Noëllat.
The Michel wines can be quite good, especially their very well placed Bourgogne in Vosne Croix blanches, Boudots, CV, and Beaumonts/Suchots. Even the villages wines (morey saint denis très girard in particular) can surpise to the upside and then some.
They seem to only be getting better with the new generation.