Blast from the past - newspaper article on new wineries of 1977

From the Healdsburg Tribune, Enterprise and Scimitar, Number 24, 16 March 1978:
60 wineries opened last year

This includes not only wineries in California but from other states as well. Not surprisingly, some on the list are still around and some are not.

Nice! Thanks for sharing. As a 1977 child, I should get in touch with a few of these. Only ones I recognize are Grgich and Smith-Madrone…

Wow. The two Michigan wineries are still there. Didn’t realize they were so old. Still fighting for respect.

A winery in Yucaipa…

Fun post!

This is great - a bunch of blasts from the past here. I was in college in upstate NY then and remember going to visit Glenora when it was new - was always looking for something other than Taylor to visit in the area.

I didn’t realize Leonetti (spelled incorrectly in the article) and Quady were that old, although I thought a couple like Sokol Blosser and Estrella River had actually opened before that.

The rest of the paper is a blast from the past. Discussion over seismic concerns involving the proposed Warm Springs Dam, warnings of a wine grape glut, ERA now or never…

Ad for Dehlinger Chardonnay, $5.50/btl

Very cool. Thanks. Some fun names in the mix from all over. Hard to think L. Mawby and Elk Cove are the same age.

So cool Ken - thanks! A real blast from the past. '77 was my first full year in the wine business.

Fun to see those names again, but one stood out - DURNEY - I used to love their Cabernets -