TN: a couple Burgs

1978 B. Mugneret-Gouachon Echezeaux, a producer about whom I know nothing. Good wine, much better palate and texture than nose, it is a pretty wine that won’t have me looking for more.

2002 Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes Chambertin is young, red-fruited, and pretty. Nice wine but a bit underwhelming for price and reputation. A good quaff.

Now, after two more hours w this wine, I must amend and upgrade my opinion. Density and length improved, layers of flavor developed, and it earned its grand cru status. Became a superb wine.

I had 78 Palmer tonight - bought on release. Young with great perfumed Bordeaux nose. If anything it could be a little shy on the finish. Good thing you were here Alan, although we did have the BUTTER with some country style bread and duck confit risotto.

2006 Yquem - apricot, coconut, great length.

Vilmart NV Rubis - strawberry, nice mousse, fresh.

have a single btl of the 02 ruchottes, will hold onto it.

Thanks Alan. Same as Charlie, I only have a single of the '02 Ruchottes, so I will keep my hands off for a while.

Alan,

I had an '89 Mugneret-Gouachon et Fils Echezeaux a while back that was excellent. I commented that I knew nothing about the domaine. Allen Meadows was kind enough to respond with this:

"Mugneret-Gouachon was headed by Bernard Mugneret (born 1931), who was the first cousin of Dr. Georges Mugneret. He married Gilberte Gouachon, who came from Prémeaux and brought vineyards with her and hence the name of the domaine. You may be aware that few Burgundian domaines were hyphenated in those days unless the wife brought a dowry of vineyards with her, which in this case she did including the famous Aux Perdrix. The domaine was based out of Prémeaux before it was sold to the de Villard family in 1996 to create the Domaine de Perdrix.

With respect to your wine, the specific info that I have for the Quartiers de Nuit holdings of Mugneret-Gouachon was .68 ha in Quartiers and et .55 in du Dessus, which totals 1.13 ha.

BTW, the Nuits “Aux Perdrix” is essentially a monopole within the Nuits 1er Clos des Corvées. This quasi-monopole is substantial at 3.5 ha in size and Mugneret-Gouachon once owned 99% of it at 3.45 ha."

great info and appreciated, Paul.

Good thing you spent more time with the wine–or the wine spent more time with you, Alan. A good lesson to be learned here. I’ll leave it up to others to discern what it might be. [wow.gif]

My experiences with MG are more in line with your initial assessment. This includes vintages from 95/96/01. Most of them at 15-20 years of age and they all tasted pretty young. The other thing I’ve noticed is that there is minimal sediment with these and the sediment is very fine. Even the ones from 95 and 91.

My best MG experience was recently with a 1991 Georges Mugneret Echezeaux. I think these wines age very very slowly.

very little sediment w this wine also–wonder if they filter.

pretty sure they use soutirage…and fine the wines.

All wine is “filtered” to some degree…or there’s be twigs and insects in them.

What Parker meant by filtering…is pretty severe. A winemaker once gave me a filter to take home. He thought it was innocuous and did no harm. After seeing it, I think the opposite, though I recognize it is necessary in some cases/vintages.