NYTimes: Asimov Recommends 12 Grapes Worth Discovering

Article in the NYTimes by Eric on 12 grape varieties worth discovering:
NYTimes:12Grapes

Blatterle is the only one that’s new to me. He recommends Trollinger from the Wurttemberg of Germany. I would suggest that the Vernatschs from the SudTirol/AA are much more interesting. Least the ones I’ve tried.
Tom

What is this “Carignan” that the author speaks of? :wink:

Just a trash grape from SouthernFrance and BuchignaniRanch, Drew.
Tom

I am ITB and import Domaine Zafeirakis to the Rep. of Panama, having said that, the Limniona and Malagousia from Christos Zafeirakis are excellent.

The Malagousia he makes is quite different than other producers, which look more toward the varietals floral and viscous texture. What sets Zafeirakis Malagousia apart is how well the silex in his vineyards gives that extra zing to the white, as well as his minimum intervention approach in the winery. To note the 2011 vintage for me has been the best, but experimenting has led him to change the style slightly of which 2013 is drinking quite well right now as well as 2015.

As for the Limniona it’s a varietal that you either love or hate, but this is changing with newer vintages as the vines get older. The first vintage was 2007, but the 2009 is drinking beautifully now as well as 2011, and the recently bottled 2014 is just soo delicious! He makes a really mineral driven rose out of this varietal that is also quite good for the money. Stay tuned for a Limniona aged in eggs/amphora …

A small video of Christos philosophy and his vineyards.