2015 François Chidaine Montlouis-sur-Loire Les Bournais

Opened one of these up a couple weeks ago and was seriously impressed with its overall quality. Easily on par with the 2014. Plenty of acid to carry through to a long finish with the usual fruit core associated with this wine. I liked it enough to re-up on it. Just wondering whether anyone else has tried this and what you’re thoughts are?

Had this, the 2013 and 2014 some months ago. 13 is the highest in acidity, I would say the freshest but also the lightest of the trio. 15 is for sure richer but IMO the 14 has a bit more depth and also a bit more acidity which make it the better wine for me. 15 is a very good bottle off course and certainly more concentrated than 13. Really curious to try the pied franc version too!

2015 François Chidaine Montlouis-sur-Loire Les Bournais - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Montlouis-sur-Loire (7/18/2018)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 2 – 3 hours –

NOSE: smells like it’s going to be a touch sweet; ripe apricot; hay; hint of lychee.

BODY: rich, maize color; medium to medium-full bodied.

TASTE: quite ripe; medium+ to high acidity; tastes a touch sweet, but finishes dry; 13% alc. not noticeable; moreish; apple on the finish, which is long and of medium-light intensity. gut impression score: low 90’s. Impressive QPR around $30.

Never had Les Bournais, but I enjoy his “Les Tuffeaux”. Have been picking up 2 to 3 bottles of the new vintage of this every year probably since 2009. Supposed to age well, but I have never kept a bottle around long enough to see. My recollections of taste are similar to tasting notes posted on the 2015 Les Bournais. It probably is a little on the sweet side, but I do not like to concede this to my wife (she has something against “sweetish” wines). I think it is in that perfect boundary between dry and sweet where Chenin Blanc can show of all its stuff. A wine to simply enjoy and also a wine to ponder and dwell on a bit if in the mood. It is in that same $30 price range.