What are the 3 classic flavors that characterize California Pinot?

Nearly every time I come across a California pinot, the nose to me is distinctly California. Whether it be in blind tastings or simply opening a bottle, 80% of the time, the nose instantly brings me to California.

My dilemma is…I don’t know how to describe it.

The best I can do?

Caramel or toffee
sweet red fruits (not ripe)

I primarily drink Sonoma Coast, Russian River and other Northern Coast wines so maybe it’s more specific to that region? But even some of the Southern Coast regions have that distinct flavor.

Please note, I’m not saying “all California pinot tastes the same” :slight_smile: There’s certainly diversity like any other region. I’m sitting here drinking a lovely 2007 Kutch Sonoma Coast pinot and it has that same characteristic.

So what descriptors (preferably food/taste based) do you use?

By the way I’d love to do this for other grape varietals and wine regions!

Syrah? newhere

Touche! I knew someone would end up saying that.

If it helps at all, I try to stick to lower alcohol wines, especially in California. So I “hope” the commonality isn’t syrah :slight_smile:

Cola

This thread is going to suck.

LOL

Cloves, cranberry, baking spices, sarsaparilla, cherries.

Tom

Cherries, root beer, and rhubarb.

Grapey like Welch’s grape jelly, cherry cola, sweet and maybe burnt sugar. I just describe it as a Pinot Noir taste and I know what I mean when I write that. It’s distinctive, just like Muscat or Reisling.

Rhubarb and cola

It’s root beer, dammit.

For generic, bad “California” Pinot Noir it’s cherry, cola, candy.

For well made Pinot, no 3 descriptor list is sensible.

lucky for you, i try to stick to higher alcohol wines, especially in california.
and i do not thing the commonality is syrah.

Certainly Vanilla from all the oak. Then I would add cola and sour cherry.

For me.
When good: Soft cherry cola, sassafras and orange peel
When great: Slightly tart cranberry, orange peel and violets

I thought that before I opened it.

+1

Not sure why I’m getting into this fray, but the answer is: there is no answer. California Pinot growing regions are huge, diverse, and scattered over hundreds of miles. There are cooler regions, warmer regions, coastal regions, inland regions, growers who pick earlier, growers who pick later, winemakers who use new oak, and who use no oak; who use stems and don’t; who soak and extract like hell, and don’t. To think there are any characteristics common to “California” Pinot is to ignore these realities.

Maybe it’s more specific to Sonoma Coast since that’s predominantly what I drink.

I don’t disagree they’re diverse, but the producers I try often times have one similarity to one another and I can’t describe it.

Copain, Rhys, Kutch, Littorai, Arnot-robert, Eden. Maybe I just need to try more to figure it out!