TN: Some great wines with the boy Scouts - Year 2

SOME GREAT WINES WITH THE BOY SCOUTS - YEAR 2 - BSA Fundraiser (3/24/2017)

Last year my wife and I attended a fundraiser for the Boy scouts that was a wine tasting. We are not really scouting supporters but we have a friend who is. despite an excellent bevy of wines including Haut Brion, there were only about 12 people and most of those part of the Scouts. I mentioned to them that if they did it again, please let me know earlier and we could fill the room. My wife did it one better and agreed to chair the event. I sent out personal e-mails to a lot of wine friends in town and before we knew it, the limit of 80 people had been reached. About 2/3 of those wine people and 1/3 Boy Scout supporters (although a couple of people fit both groups).

Local Bon Vivant and Wine Distributor, Dan Greathouse, again stepped up big time with some great wine donations. Reinecker’s bakery made an awesome five course dinner and we were set. I did not get to taste all the wines that Dan brought. In addition, a lot of wine was brought as well. For my notes, I tried to list them in the order and groups tasted. We raised about $12,000 for the local region of the Boy Scouts and introduced a lot of people to each other.

A very fun night.
By the Pour
This was open at the beginning of the tasting. One ounce pours were available for $20 or $10 depending on the wine. We sold out of all tasting tickets. (There was also a 2008 Gracia).

• 2009 Kapcsándy Family Winery Cabernet Sauvignon (Grand Vin) State Lane Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Yountville
    Wow. Seldom have I started a tasting with such a great big red wine. But this worked for tonight. Purple in color. The nose has cedar and a nice funk to it. Also plenty of cassis, some cherries bit of chocolate and spice. Wonderful texture. Complex and open. The bottle had been open for a while, not sure how long. Cassis, earthy layers with some cherries. This is pretty ripe but overtly; the alcohol is “low” at under 14%. Still, clearly California. Delicious. No hurry but this is starting to enter an early maturity. (97 pts.)
  • 2007 Maybach Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Materium - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville
    I love this wine and have since release. This was only a small pour. If there is a “gripe” it is very ripe. Not a problem for me, but noticeable on this table. Purple in color. Cassis, some blueberries, some cedar on the nose. Great lush texture. On the palate, there is some sweetness, more from ripe fruit than rs I should think. Delicious. Cassis liqueur and blueberries with some dry earthiness to it. Great long finish. No heat. Wonderful wine. Still drinking young with a couple of decades left IMO. (99 pts.)
  • 1995 Château Mouton Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    Great wine. Maybe unfair right after the 07 Maybach as that is so ripe but this held its own quite nicely. Purple in color. The nose has cassis, dust, cigar tobacco and a slight funk. On the palate, this is showing a nice layered complexity. I would think this is at peak given the vintage and this bottle. No hurry though, plenty of fruit with some tannic structure. Nice finish. A real treat. (95 pts.)
  • 2001 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    I have not had this since it was released and this performed above my expectations. The 01 vintage is for me, one of those tweener vintages (like a 6’5" power forward). Not really classic (like 00) but not precocious (like 02) either. This bottle, however, has really developed well. It seems like dead on at peak right now. Purple in color, ruby at the rim. The nose has cassis, a hint of pencil lead, slight cedar, bit of funk. On the palate, nicely layered complexity of cassis, tobacco and earth. Just a bit of tannins left. Good balance. Nice finish. This wine is outstanding right now. (95 pts.)

Sharing with Friends
While standing around and shooting the breeze, we sampled these wines that some of the people had brought. There were a bunch I missed but everyone was sharing generously.

• 1992 Forman Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Sure, I’ll try this. Whoa. Drinking great and although I had an early taste, others said it held up all night long. 92 a very good Napa vintage if not at the 91 or 94 level notwithstanding, this wine was singing. It is mature and probably a bit past peak but it is 25 years from vintage. Ruby in color. The nose has dust, cassis, and slight funk. A bit of dried fruit too. On the palate, this has layers of fruit and earth. The tannins are gone. The acidity stands a bit out of balance (strong) but I think food would have helped that. Nice finish. Everything you could want out of it. (93 pts.)
  • 1993 Forman Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley
    After drinking the 92 and being quite impressed, I tried this. I did not expect it to also be on, but you know what, this was just a bit better than the 92. Thank you to Chad for both bottles. Very similar. Ruby in color. The nose has dust, cassis and slight earthiness. On the palate, this is just a bit fresher and more in balance than the 92. The acidity is not as strong. slight tannins. Complex and layered. Still on the downside of peak but this bottle anyway is a bit younger (I know it is one year younger). Great showing. (94 pts.)
  • 2009 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Having been at Prum a few weeks ago, this brought back great memories. Still, I think it was this good. Light gold in color. Just a bit of petrol (no sulfur) on the nose. Also some grapefruit and a bit of minerals and salinity. On the palate, this is slightly sweet but with more than enough acidity to counter balance it. Slightly oily texture. More viscous than expected. Nice finish. My only regret was I should have taken some for the beet salad later in the meal. It would have been perfect. Thanks David. (93 pts.)
  • 2012 Hayfork Cabernet Sauvignon Lewelling Ranch - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena
    A winery that flies a bit under the radar. Purple in color. The nose is dusty with plums and a bit of cassis. Some graphite too. Very soft texture like many 2012’s, but don’t be fooled. Some tannins. Great fruit, mostly plum but some cassis. A bit of char underneath. Long finish. Very well balanced. I had this on release and it hasn’t really changed much in the intervening few years. (94 pts.)
  • 2014 Pott Wine Viognier 20m3 Stagecoach Vineyard Pritchard Hill - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Light golden in color. The nose is very clean with limes and grapefruit. With air, some apricot comes out. Nice texture. More peach with a mineral streak on the palate. There is some heat on the finish but not a lot. Worked well with some food. (91 pts.)
  • 2008 Carlisle Syrah Dry Creek Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley
    Always nice to be able to drink a Carlisle with some age on it as I am terrible in not drinking them too early. Thanks Chris. Purple in color. The nose has a great note of black olive on it along with some black raspberries and a bit or pepper. On the palate, this is pretty ripe and still youthful. Black raspberries and a bit peppery. Great texture. Good balance. Delicious now but some upside left to cellaring it. (93 pts.)
  • 2007 Merryvale Profile - USA, California, Napa Valley
    I am not scoring this one but if I did, it would be about an 87. Just not my style of wine. Far too oaked for my tastes but others really seemed to like it. That is fine of course. There is good fruit here and still firm tannins so if you don’t like a ton of oak, let it rest and it has some potential to develop. If you don’t mind or even appreciate that sawdust component, then the tables seemed to really enjoy it.
  • 2013 SonkinCellars Persona - USA, California
    Always a pleasure to share this with friends especially for a good cause. This was from Magnum. I opened the night before to breathe, decanted for 6 hours and then back in the bottle to the dinner. I felt it still needed more air. YMMV. Obviously I am biased and only had a small sip anyway to make sure it was sound. I felt it was. It seemed like everyone either enjoyed it or was too kind to say otherwise.
  • 2009 Bodega Burdigala Toro Campo Eliseo - Spain, Castilla y León, Toro
    This was “hurt” coming right after the Champagnes but I tried it with a beet salad (not its best pairing). Still, it showed quite well. It drinks a bit like a Zinfandel in a way. The nose has raspberries and spice. On the palate, this is peppery with some spice/oak to it. There is some depth. Lots of fruit and some, not a lot of, acidity. Some tannins too. Seems to be in its wheelhouse but no hurry, but I know nothing about this wine so I can’t say. I assume some blend with some variety of Tempranillo. (91 pts.)

Champagne
There were I believe 6 of these Trudon champagne’s in all. The first was poured to everyone and then a table set up where people could go try others. Dan mentioned he will be bringing these into Ohio and I thought he said that is their first USA representation. A very nice array of Farmer Fizz. There was a Rose I missed that people seemed to like as well.

• 2008 Champagne Trudon Champagne Instantanée - France, Champagne
    My first time trying this producer. This was very good and worth revisiting. $50 Ohio. light golden in color. Nice stream of small bubbles. The nose has some hay and also some ginger ale. Good acidity. Not a ton of complexity but very smooth and easy to drink. Slight carmel note on the palate along with a bit of peach and ginger ale. Nice finish. Worked well with food. (90 pts.)
  • NV Champagne Trudon Champagne Monochrome - France, Champagne
    Although a bit less in price than the Instantannee ($46 Ohio), I liked this a bit better. 100% Pinot Meunier from “ancient plots”. Light golden in color, nice bubbles. The nose is more about seltzer with some citrus. Good acidity. A much tighter focus but the acidity gives it direction if that makes sense. Citrus (tangerine?) on the palate. Long finish. (91 pts.)
  • NV Champagne Trudon Champagne Tête de Cuvée - France, Champagne
    i did not see a vintage designation on this. Barrel fermented blend of Pinot Meunier and Chardonnay. $70. Golden in color. The nose is great with minerals, then a wave of Vernor’s Soda (a great thing). On the palate, there is a perception of sweetness but a great acidity that balances it out. Nice ginger and citrus notes on the palate. Long finish. My favorite in the lineup and very competitive with Champagnes at the three digit level. (93 pts.)
  • NV Champagne Trudon Champagne Dyade - France, Champagne
    Again, I did not see a vintage on this, but then again, I didn’t have my glasses so who knows. A blend of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. very good wine. $60 Ohio. Light golden in color. The nose has slight grapefruit and whiffs of cherries. On the palate, good acidity. The grapefruit takes over but also a bit of chalk/minerals. A bit rougher on the finish. Seemed to be popular with the crowd at my table though I referred the M. (91 pts.)

Wines served with dinner
An interesting mix plus of course all the wines that people had brought on their own (listed elsewhere).

• 2014 59 Prime - France
    This is an inexpensive varietally labelled Cabernet carrying a Vin de France appellation. I think someone said about $15. If so, and considering the vintage, that is a nice buy and a wine to watch when the 2015 comes around. Purple/ruby in color. The nose has cassis and some dark cherries. On the palate, it is pretty ripe. My wife who doesn’t normally like French wine really liked this one. I found it solid and a great value. Cool to try something a bit different if only for the appellation and labeling. (88 pts.)
  • 2002 Château Lafleur - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
    I like the 02 vintage for what it is. Accessible and drinking well early. That said, most, if not all, need to be drunk or at least checked in on. This was served to us blind of the vintage. Most of us at the table thought it somewhere from the 90’s. The nose has cassis, some oxidation, a bit of balsamic. On the palate, there is some nice cherry fruit here, tannins are resolved. It makes a compelling drink at this point, but at peak or slightly past. Worked very well with our Mushroom main course. (90 pts.)
  • 2013 World’s End Cabernet Sauvignon If Six Was Nine Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley
    I had this a year ago and while similar, i liked this much better then. Perhaps shut down a bit. It is a solid Napa Cab made by Bordeaux winemaker Jonathon Malthus. There is a persistent vegetal/bitter streak on both the nose and palate that seemed more pronounced with this bottle. We speculated as to pick date, etc. or just wine making philosophy. There were other bottles served from this lineup but I didn’t make it over to the table they were at in time. Solid wine but we all had higher expectations. (89 pts.)

some bonus wines
There was a table up front where people could go get tastes of wines. Besides these there was a horizontal of World’s End offerings that I didn’t get to.

• 2003 Château Troplong Mondot - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Always a controversial vintage, I thought this was showing quite well and about on schedule for 14 years from vintage. Purple in color. The nose is dusty with cherries, ripe cherries and a hint of dried fruit. Also a bit of char. Very clean. On the palate, this is drinking well with some tannins. Plenty of cherry and dark cherry fruit. Good overall balance. Nice finish. Getting close to peak perhaps but a long life left. Nothing raisin about this to me. (93 pts.)
  • 2005 Château Clerc Milon - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    Bottles will be bottles, right? This one was way above expectations and prior bottles. I actually went back and checked the label in case I read it wrong. Purple/ruby in color. The bottle had been opened for a few hours by this time, but this was very open for a 2005. The nose has cassis, pencil lead, cigar box, dark cherries and spice. On the palate, this is open. Medium tannins. Lots of cassis and dark cherry fruit. Layers of fruit and tobacco. Long finish. Complex yet youthful. Just a great showing. No hurry on it though. (95 pts.)
  • 2007 Castello di Ama Chianti Classico Vigneto La Casuccia - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG
    I admit to not knowing this Chianti, but hey, I like Chianti. Wow, this wine rocked! The bottle had been open for a few hours when I got to it. Purple/ruby in color. The nose has dark cherries, forest floor, tea leaves and anise. Very intense. On the palate, this is young and fresh and not showing even a couple of years, much less ten. Still it has great depth to it and shifts from dark cherries to earth to tea leaves and back. Medium to firm tannins. Long finish. Great balance. I pulled out my phone to look it up. $100 which is a lot for a Chianti but there is no denying the quality of this wine. On a table of Bordeaux and Napa wines, this was my favorite. (96 pts.)
  • 2005 Château Duhart-Milon - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    I was a bit disappointed with this, but it was late in the evening and this may still be a tight bottle. Purple in color. The nose has dark cherries, spice and hints of licorice. On the palate, one dimensional. Nice dark cherry fruit. Firm tannins. A fine wine but I would hold for a bit. (90 pts.)

Sauternes Flight
There were four all together including Sechel and Lys D’Or that I did not get to.

• 2007 Château Climens - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Barsac
    So, it was a free for all on the Sauternes. A bit of a talk about Sauternes in general and then come on up and try one. There were four. There was a 375ml of this and I was first in line. A wow wine to be sure. i let it sit in my glass and warm up while I finished my meal and other wines and then got to this. Copper/gold in color. The nose is amazing with apricots and honey and slight orange peel. On the palate, this is viscous, sweet, not cloying with excellent acidity. Long finish that is very persistent. Complex. Delicious. Wow. (98 pts.)
  • 2007 Château de Rayne-Vigneau - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    This was nice but it came after the 07 Climens and seemed a day late and a dollar short. That said, i try to be fair, and it really is very nicce. copper gold in color. The nose has tangerines and slight bitter/honey note. Slightly sweet. Good depth. Actually worked with a tapioca pudding pretty well. Nice finish. (90 pts.)

Back to the BYO
Standing around at the end I sampled a bit from other tables.

• 2006 Keplinger Syrah Kingpin Rows - USA, California, Sonoma County, Knights Valley
    I really enjoyed this. Of course, I know the winery but have not had one this old. Nor do I know the wine. Certainly a lot of Syrah if not all. Tastes like cool climate so probably not from Lodi. :wink: Dark cherries, boysenberries, black pepper and slight black olive on the nose. The palate has a great “slippery” texture. Not quite full bodied, but not light bodied by any means. A nice layered complexity here though the wine still has a lot of life left. Probably still some upside to further cellaring though its hard for me to say. Good finish. (92 pts.)
  • 2003 Sine Qua Non Chardonnay Mr. K The Noble Man - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley
    Deeper copper orange in color. The nose is big with canned peaches, honey, and some sugary notes. On the palate, I find this pretty close to cloying without getting there. I would prefer a bit more acidity to wines of this texture. That is not to say this is not delicious. It is very tasty but a little goes a long way. A touch of oxidation perhaps on the finish but I am not sure how long this was opened. Always a treat to try though. (91 pts.)
  • 2011 Kurt Darting Dürkheimer Feuerberg Riesling Kabinett halbtrocken - Germany, Pfalz
    I was going to taste on last sip of the Prum but saw this. Actually a nice way to finish the night. It cleared my palate a bit, and I found this very nice. Light golden in color. A nose of minerals with some slight pineapple. On the palate, slight sweetness; just a hint. citrus note. Solid finish. Some complexity. (91 pts.)

Always nice when doing good for others ends up being a lot of fun.

Here is the menu:

Wine Tasting Dinner Menu

1st Course
Asparagus Tarts
Puff Pastry, Gruyere, Dijon

2nd Course
Roasted Beet Salad
Spinach, Goat Cheese, Candied Pecans, White Balsamic,

3rd Course
Duck Galantine
Duck, dried cherries, pistachios, arugula
3rd Course Vegetarian option
Roasted Vegetable and Lentil Pate
Eggplant, zucchini, cremini, shitake, lentils, walnuts.

4th Course
Braised Beef Rouladen
Bacon, dill pickle, bacon, whole grain mustard, potato dumplings,
sweet and sour red cabbage
4th Course Vegetarian
Braised Portabello Rouladen
Vegan bacon, pickle, whole grain mustard, potato dumplings,
sweet and sour red cabbage

5th Course
Bavarian Crème with red berries
Posted from CellarTracker

Good God Loren! Am I too old to sign up for the Boy Scouts in Ohio??

See that’s the dif between the boy scouts and the girl scouts.

The girl scouts have mint cookies.

The boy scouts have this!

Sorry girls, but it’s time to up your game.

Way to go Loren.

…to be fair…thin mints are fu*kin awesome

I did give equal time.
http://www.intowine.com/girl-scout-cookie-wine-pairing-recommendations

Uh, I think there is another albeit subtle difference. :wink:

Yeah but I’m talking about the difference that matters!

Loren - nice job with the cookie pairings. Not sure I agree with all the pairings but it’s a worthy effort indeed! [cheers.gif]